This class has been scheduled to work across two timezones - 7pm Friday in Los Angeles (PST) or 2pm Saturday in Australia (AEDT Melbourne).
Ever had an incredible idea for a game but didn't know how to get started? Ever wanted to make that idea a reality?
Join Shell Osborne in a hands-on session showing you the fundamentals of the Unity engine, programming and 3D game theory in practice as we make our very own space sim - akin to titles like Eve, Freelancer and Elite - from start to finish.
No prior programming or games experience required, just show up and get creative!
You'll learn techniques such as:
- game physics
- shaders and stylization
- coding concepts and basic scripting
- how to build and publish your game!
All the skills learned here can very easily be applied to your own creative prospects. You just need to know how to start!
Shell Osborne is a Games Programmer and a University Lecturer of seven years. Shell has been making games ever since she should have been doing homework in highschool, including Brave Kingdom, one of the first open RPGs for mobile. She is widely celebrated in the gaming community, making numerous Women in Games lists including for MCV Pacific.
Publishing under YoShellShell, she use her experiences and situations heavily as inspiration, making experiences that center around queer and multicultural representation. After shipping a range of titles to PC, browser and Android she's currently working on a title for the PS4.
How you'll tune in:
- The workshop will happen online. You can tune in from anywhere you have a stable internet connection that is ableto support video streaming.
- A link and instructions will be sent to you a day before the workshop. You then use it to log on at the workshop time.
- We use GoToWebinar for our online sessions. It is free to download or can be used via your regular web browser.
- Links to required software and any resources you'll need to complete the in-workshop exercise will also be sent through before the session. You will not need to buy any software for the session, it will be provided to you beforehand and is part of your ticket price.
- During the session, you'll be able to see and chat with the mentor. The session will be recorded and provided to all participants after the event, in case you'd like a recap!