Free

Only 5% of an ejaculate is sperm. What’s the other 95% for?

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery

Dunn Place

Hobart, TAS 7000

Australia

View Map

Friends Who Are Going
Event description

Description

Join current L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Fellow Dr Angela Crean at BeakerStreet@TMAG, a pop-up science bar at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery 18-20 August, as she premiers her newest talk on the fascinating and underappreciated subject of male seminal fluid. In addition to sperm, ejaculates contain a potent cocktail of chemicals. Their inclusion in semen is no random accident, but the result of millions of years of evolution. Angela will explore some of the wacky ways that males use ejaculates to manipulate female’s behavior and physiology, and ponder whether seminal effects may be used to treat human infertility.

About the Speaker:
Dr Angela Crean is an evolutionary ecologist based in the Sydney School of Veterinary Science at The University of Sydney. Her research investigates the role the environment plays in influencing which traits are passed on to the next generation. She has worked with animals ranging from sea squirts and flies to mice, testing how a male’s environment affects his sperm quality, and whether these changes in sperm can influence the growth and survival of his offspring. Her research has uncovered unexpected patterns of inheritance -- for example, she has shown that sea squirts produce more competitive sperm when surrounded by lots of other sea squirts, but that eggs fertilized by these competitive sperm are less likely to hatch into larvae. She also discovered that the diet of a female’s previous mating partner (i.e. not the father!) can influence the size of neriid flies, a phenomenon known as telegony. She now hopes to test whether environmental interventions that improve sperm quality can be used in assisted reproductive technologies to improve success rates of less invasive reproductive procedures and help couples struggling to conceive. Dr Crean has won a number of awards for her innovative research, and is a current L’Oreal-UNESCO For Women in Science Australian Fellow.

About BeakerStreet@TMAG:
BeakerStreet@TMAG is a pop-up science bar at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, 18-20 August - admission is free. Join us during the second weekend of National Science Week for three packed nights of intriguing short talks and hands-on workshops, live music, beer brewing Q&A, the 360 Cinema Dome, SCINEMA short films, a photography exhibition, storytelling, have a beer with a scientist, delicious local food and Tassie tipples, heaters and hot drinks in the courtyard, and more! Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of this talk to get a drink and find a seat - talks will start promptly at the advertised start time.

BeakerStreet@TMAG is free and open to the public but designed for an adult audience. Under-18s must be accompanied by an adult. Registration for talks is not required and does not guarantee a seat, but will be a great help to us (we're scientists and we like numbers). Registration for workshops is essential. For program details and more information, visit www.beakerstreet.com.au or get updates by clicking "Going" or "Interested" on our facebook event.


Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery

Dunn Place

Hobart, TAS 7000

Australia

View Map

Save This Event

Event Saved