Actions and Detail Panel
Homelessness Hackathon 2017
Fri., 02/06/2017, 5:00 pm – Sun., 04/06/2017, 9:00 pm AEST
Moved by the need to create change, the Brisbane tech and business community are hosting the first Homeless Hackathon in Australia!
A weekend-long hackathon with the tech, social, design and business communities aimed at solving issues identified by people experiencing homelessness.
Whether you work in the housing/homelessness sector, are a hipster, hacker or hustler, this is your opportunity to apply your creative thinking, social, design, business or tech skills to solve pressing social problems.
Marist 180 together with partners Orange Sky Laundry, Common Ground QLD, River City Labs, QUT Creative Industries, and The Incus Group, and funded by the Department of Housing’s Dignity First Fund have designed this hackathon to work towards alleviating issues faced by people experiencing homelessness in our community.
This is the first in the world of its type to include pre-event engagement strategies (via QUT) with people experiencing homelessness, to capture their authentic, lived experience ensuring their voices are represented at the event even if they aren’t able to attend.
Why you should come to the hackathon
• Gain an understanding of homelessness issues in your city;
• Have the opportunity to disrupt these issues with your ideas and skills;
• Be challenged to think critically as you build something new and helpful;
• Learn new skills, have fun, be inspired by creative, collaborative and caring people like yourself with a facilitated process;
• Work with people from diverse innovative sectors, and bring back learnings to your team and clients;
• The entire weekend is fully catered and there’s a huge Sunday night celebratory wrap-up!
A hackathon is an event where people from across sectors come together to collaborate on projects and design innovative solutions.
Come and make a difference, have some fun, learn a lot and help to create solutions for the Queensland homeless!
Follow us on social media to keep in touch and find out more:
We are also looking for volunteers to help facilitate the event. If you would like to volunteer during the hackathon, register as a volunteer here