Actions and Detail Panel
GM 2.0: What the Government isn’t telling you
Mon. 20 March 2017, 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm AEDT
The Federal Government is proposing not to regulate a range of new genetic modification (GM) techniques. If the Government deregulates these techniques anyone from amateur biohackers – to industry – would be free to use them to genetically modify plants, animals and microbes. And they could enter our food chain and our environment with no safety testing and no labelling. The results could be catastrophic.
This forum will discuss what kind of futures these new genetic engineering techniques could create, the potential risks to human health and the environment, and the politics that are at play globally and in Australia.
- MC – Dr Nick Rose, Executive Director, Sustain: The Australian Food Network and Lecturer, Bachelor of Food Studies / Master of Food Systems and Gastronomy, William Angliss Institute.
- Dr Michael Antoniou, a genetic engineer from King’s College London School of Medicine, U.K.
- Professor Rob Sparrow a bioethicist from Monash University’s School of Philosophical, Historical and International Studies, Melbourne.
- Dr Judy Carman from The Institute of Health and Environmental Research, Adelaide
- Louise Sales from Friends of the Earth’s Emerging Tech Project, Hobart.