Learn pen and ink illustrative techniques with professional artist Daisy Claridge. In this workshop we will:
- learn illustrative technique for complex detail such as feathers and fur
- Plan and commence artwork of a feathered or furry beast
All skill levels welcome! This workshop will be guided but will be fun and flexible if you have some different inspiration
Snacks, tea and coffee will be provided, but we recommend you bring your own lunch.
First Daisy will show you her work and examples of different techniques, we can then practice doing fur, feathers, eyes, etc. Daisy will bring photographs of a couple of subjects, of furred and feathered creatures (her specialty!). You can choose which one you would like to draw and whether you want to do the whole composition or just part of it.
The first step will be for you to sketch in pencil. This won't be very detailed as the fine detail is done with pen. The next stage will use this outline to gradually build up the detail.
You probably won’t complete the work by the end of the workshop but with the skills learned from the workshop you will feel confident enough to finish it at home.
- Paper - A few sheets of quality paper with a smooth surface, A4/A3 size. The Art Spectrum pads of 210gsm ‘Draw & Wash’ are available from any art shop, are pretty versatile and not too expensive if you think you’ll use it all. As long as it isn’t photocopy paper! Daisy will bring some ‘scrap’ paper for practising on as well.
- Pens – Daisy uses either Pigma Micron or Copic Multiliner, easily available at any art shop (maybe even somewhere like Officeworks) for around $6 each. The finest size is 0.05 if you want to be as obsessive about detail! Otherwise Daisy recommends the 0.3 or 0.5. Daisy will bring her selection of pens too.
- A pencil (B/2B)
- Lunch (snacks are provided)
Please feel free to email Daisy email@example.com if you have any questions. If you want to do your own subject or start a pencil sketch beforehand you can always email a photo and she can let you know if you're on the right track.