Bees: Beginners' Hands-on Beekeeping Course
This two day course is designed to provide new or prospective beekeepers (including those with Flow Hives) with the necessary knowledge and practical skills to successfully manage a beehive throughout a beekeeping season, and particularly in springtime.
The course has been developed from and is consistent with core units of Beekeeping Certificate III. Subsequent courses in February and March 2017 will focus on beekeeping during following seasons.
- The course will be conducted on Sunday 2nd October and Sunday 16th October 2016.
- On each day it will commence at 9am (with registration from 8:30) and conclude at 4:45pm.
- The course will be conducted at the Abbotsford Convent and at the adjoining the Collingwood Children’s Farm apiary. Go to www.facebook.com/collingwoodbees to view the apiary in operation and to see how it is used to teach practical beekeeping.
- A feature of the course will be its emphasis on teaching beekeeping by having students open hives themselves. Under instruction from an experienced beekeeper and in groups of three, students will spend two hours on each day of the course doing this (weather permitting). All beekeeping personal protective equipment will be provided at the apiary. For biosecurity reasons students will not be permitted to bring and use their own equipment.
- The cost of this two day course is $270.
- Included in the cost will be course notes, a memory stick of beekeeping resources, a reference book (“BEE Agskills”, New South Wales Department of Primary Industries), morning tea and the materials needed to make one waxed wooden bee frame.
- Lunch will not be provided but it can be purchased at a number of nearby venues at the Abbotsford Convent.
- Enrolment and payment can only be made through Eventbrite.
- There is a limit of 24 students for the course.
- Enrolments close on Friday 30th September.
- Enrolments will be accepted on a “first come, first served” basis.
- Course cancellation will be accepted two weeks before the commencement date of the course and will incur a cancellation fee of $50 with the balance being refunded approximately five days after the event.
- The course organizers reserve the right to refuse enrolment to any student who they consider unsuitable for the course for whatever reason.