The Word For Thesis shortcourse will give you the practical skills you need to work with a template, format your thesis and create a submittable and print-ready document. A series of exercises will guide you through ways of using MS Word features to effectively organise and develop a complex document.
There are two sessions in Word For Thesis: setting up your template and practical skills. The template session (2 hours) is intended as a bridging course for those who are just starting out using Word for their thesis, and is ideal for those who are not confident using Word. More confident users of word can attend the practical skills session (3 hours) only.
What do I need to bring?
The class is taught using PC computers in a lab. The skills learnt can be transferred to Word for Mac OS. Students do not need to bring their own computer. Although not a personal tutorial, students can bring their own material on a USB drive or laptop to edit during the class to identify problems and issues in their documents.
On completion of the shortcourse participants should be able to:
- Enable double sided, print-ready PDF documents
- Use the Style system to control paragraph formats consistently, and use the Table of Contents construction.
- Vary page numbering – roman and arabic numbers within the document.
- Use Captions for tables and figures and creating the list in the table of contents.
- Format table content – in Word or Excel
- Insert and control graphic objects
- Arrange appendices in the document and include in the titles in the table of contents
- Format bibliographies and references
Before you attend
You will need a valid unimelb staff or student log-in to attend this course. Attendees need to know basic skills in using MS Word. If you lack basic knowledge, Pick it Up Online offered by the library can give you training in foundation skills: http://www.studentit.unimelb.edu.au/goodtoknow/pickituponline.html.
GSA Programs Agreement
Before purchasing your ticket, please read the program Terms and Conditions, which includes our Pricing Information and a Refund and Close Door Policy: https://form.jotform.co/70178692664871