Actions and Detail Panel
Word for Thesis Shortcourse: Practical skills
Thu. 4 May 2017, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm AEST
Word For Thesis will give you the practical skills you need to format your thesis, work with a template and create a submittable and print-ready document. A series of exercises will guide you through ways of using MS Word features to effectively organise and develop a complex document.
The class is taught using PC computers. Although not a personal tutorial, students can bring their own material on a laptop (e.g. Mac) or USB drive to edit during the class to identify problems and issues in their documents.
On completion of the shortcourse participants should be able to:
- Enable double sided, print-ready PDF documents
- Use the Style system to control paragraph formats consistently, and use the Table of Contents construction.
- Vary page numbering – roman and arabic numbers within the document.
- Use Captions for tables and figures and creating the list in the table of contents.
- Format table content – in Word or Excel
- Insert and control graphic objects
- Arrange appendices in the document and include in the titles in the table of contents
- Format bibliographies and references
There are two sessions in Word For Thesis: setting up your template and practical skills. The template session is intended as a bridging course for those who are just starting out using Word for their thesis, and is ideal for those who are not confident using Word. More confident users of word with average skills can attend the practical skills session only.
N.B.: You will need a valid unimelb staff or student log-in to attend this course. Before signing up, it is recommended that you know basic skills in using MS Word. Pick it Up Online, offered by the library, can offer you training in foundational skills: http://www.studentit.unimelb.edu.au/goodtoknow/pickituponline.html.
GSA Programs Agreement
Before purchasing your ticket, please read the program Terms and Conditions, which includes our Pricing Information and a Refund and Close Door Policy: https://form.jotform.co/70178692664871