San Francisco, California, USA
London, United Kingdom
An educational walk celebrating diverse architectural styles from George to Bathurst Streets conducted by the Society’s President Dr Roy Lumby.
Town Hall Square was undertaken jointly by the City Council and the Glebe Administration of the Anglican Church. Although the concept of open space around Sydney’s Anglican cathedral dates to the time of Governor Macquarie, but the realisation of the existing precinct began when the Church started to investigate a commercial development to finance a new school and diocesan accommodation in 1961.
Development along Kent Street included a diverse mix of uses over the years.
St Andrew’s Scotch was Church built in 1835 and demolished around 1913, making way for a commercial building. A Baptist Church, reputedly the oldest in Australia, was established in 1836. There was also a school associated with the church for many years. In 1937 the Baptist Church was relocated into a new building on George Street, The Haymarket. Its site was taken over by St Andrew’s Cathedral, which used it for its school.
Hats, walking shoes, water and sunscreen recommended.
Photo: Matt Stone