San Francisco, California, USA
London, United Kingdom
The Best of Friends™ (BoF) program gives children the knowledge, skills and confidence to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, show empathy for others, develop and maintain friendships and make good decisions. The program includes a concise and engaging set of materials to facilitate Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) for children aged 9-11.
Conducted weekly in 10 sessions (1 hr) at Leap for Kids (afiliate of the Quirky Kid Clinic), the program content is aligned to the Australian Curriculum and features:
- Self-awareness and self-management
- Social awareness and social management
Developed by Educational and Developmental psychologist Kimberley O’Brien and the Quirky Kid team, the BoF program draws on decades of clinical and school-based experience and research, to help students overcome common social and emotional issues. Participants will learn how to:
- Make and maintain positive friendships
- Develop empathy and communication skills
- Recognise, express and manage their own emotions
- Negotiate and resolve conflict
- Work independently and more cooperatively
- Increase resilience and be assertive
- Share ideas, appreciate diverse perspectives and
- Develop teamwork and leadership skills
SEL for better student outcomes:
Research suggests Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) opportunities significantly increase student outcomes, academically and socially at school and in later life. The “Best of Friends” program aims to increase social and emotional wellbeing at home and school. The program provides both literature, theory and practice for young people to better understand themselves and others.
What is included:
- 10 sessions (one hour each) for a maximum of 8 participants.
- 2 x 30 minutes parent consultations (phone) before and after the program
- An award-winning workbook featuring interactive activities, facts, fieldwork and stories.
- Weekly email updates with key program content and suggestions for home and school.
This program is Facilitated by Psychologist Emma Cooney
Starts Tuesday 4th of October and continue weekly for 10 weeks
When & Where
The Quirky Kid Clinic
Welcome to the workshop organized by The Quirky Kid Clinic!