Are you a health professional working with older adults in the community?
Would you like to deliver Tai Chi for Arthritis?
Attend the Stay On Your Feet® Tai Chi for Arthritis training:
On successful completion of this two-day intensive workshop, you will be provided with the necessary skills and knowledge to conduct safe and effective modified Tai Chi classes.
Tai Chi for Arthritis is a program specially designed by Dr. Paul Lam in conjunction with a team of medical specialists and tai chi experts. Based on the Sun style of Tai Chi, Tai Chi for Arthritis is easy to learn, effective and safe. Tai Chi for Arthritis works to prevent falls through improving balance, confidence and muscular strength in older adults. Tai Chi for Arthritis for Falls Prevention is the same as Dr Paul Lam's Tai Chi for Arthritis program except it has additional emphasis on fall prevention. This program is evidenced based as effective at preventing falls.
At the completion of the workshop, you will have learnt:
- The Tai Chi for Arthritis set
- How Tai Chi improves health and arthritis
- How to teach this program effectively and safely using Dr. Paul Lam's stepwise progressive teaching method
- The essential principles of tai chi
Who is eligible to attend this training?
People who wish to qualify as a Tai Chi for Arthritis Instructor with Dr Paul Lam's Tai Chi for Health Institute must be suitably qualified and agree to certain requirements necessary for accreditation.
Suitable Qualifications for instructor/leader are as follows:
- Tai Chi teacher, advanced Tai Chi Student
- Physiotherapist or Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Health Professional including Nurse, Doctor, Traditional Therapist, Accredited/Certified Exercise Instructor, Allied Health Assistants and other similar qualifications
- Fitness instructors
To be eligible to receive an instructor’s certificate you are required to:
- Complete the required preparation work to the best of your ability
- Hold a current certificate of an accredited first aid course or similar qualification
- Continue to practice and update every two years
- Pass a written test and a practical assessment
- On completion of training, instructors will be required to register to become a board certified instructor. Administrative cost fee of $25.00 for further information see the link here: http://taichiforhealthinstitute.org/faq-for-becoming-a-board-certified-instructor/
Date: Saturday 18 – Sunday 19 February 2017
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm (registrations open 8.30am)
Venue: Arthritis WA Seminar Room, 17 Lemnos Street
Cost: $400 - Two-day Instructors Training; or
*$200 – One-day Tai Chi for Arthritis Certificate Update (Sunday 19 February)
(*Please email a copy of your Tai Chi for Arthritis Instructor’s Certificate to email@example.com to confirm your eligibility to attend)
Rani Hughes is an occupational therapist and master trainer in the Tai Chi for Arthritis, Tai Chi for Diabetes, Tai Chi for Rehabilitaion, Tai Chi for Osteoporosis and Tai Chi for Kids programs. She has Certificate IV in Workplace Assessment and Training. Rani enjoys teaching and has trained hundreds of Tai Chi for Health instructors. She has taught tai chi for over fifteen years to a diverse range of people including people with arthritis, diabetes and children.
For further information on the Stay On Your Feet® program evaluation visit https://www.stayonyourfeet.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Evaluation-consent-and-information-sheet.pdf