San Francisco, California, USA
London, United Kingdom
Strengthen Your Legs Forum
Exercise programs to prevent falls in older adults: Evidence, best practice and delivery in the community setting
About this forum
Older adult’s participation in regular and challenging strength and balance exercise is an effective way to reduce their risk of falls, increase quality of life and maintain independence. Engaging older adults in sustained participation in strength and balance exercise is often a struggle for health and fitness professionals.
The Stay On Your Feet® Strengthen Your Legs Forum will provide attendees with:
- Current evidence for the benefits of strength training for older adults
- Barrier and enablers identified by older adults to engaging in strength training
- Conducting strength and balance assessments
- Selecting, prescribing and modifying evidence-based strength and balance exercise programs
- Case studies outlining the delivery of strength and balance exercise programs to older adults in private practice, retirement villages and to Aboriginal Australians including program selection, implementation, challenges and key learnings
A panel discussion, moderated by Injury Control Council of WA Chief Executive Venessa Wells, will provide attendees with the opportunity to ask our expert guest speakers about the delivery of strength and balance exercise programs to older adults in the community.
Date: Wednesday 19 October 2016
Time: 4.30 – 8.00pm (Registrations open 4.00pm)
Venue: The Bendat Parent and Community Centre Auditorium
39 Dodd Street Wembley 6014
Cost: General admission $55 / Webinar $25 (Subsidised by ICCWA)
Certificates of participation will be provided to all attendees.
Who should attend?
- Occupational therapists
- Allied health assistants
- Fitness professionals
- Health promotion practitioners
- Community development officers
- Health and fitness educators
- Private practice
- Local government
- Commercial gyms
Associatie Professor Anne-Marie Hill, School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Curtin University
Tony Petta, Physiotherapist and Falls Specialist, Sir Charles Gardner Hospital
Anthony Imms, Principle Physiotherapist, HomeCare Physiotherapy, The Falls Prevention Clinic and LifeCare Phoenix Physiotherapy
Vanessa Jessup, Titled APA Gerontological Physiotherapist, Kensington Physiotherapist
Stay On Your Feet WA® is provided by the Injury Control Council of WA and funded by the State Government through the Department of Health.
When & Where
Injury Control Council of WA
ICCWA is the peak not-for-profit organisation involved in injury prevention and community safety promotion in Western Australia.
Our mission is to reduce the incidence, severity and effect of injuries through the promotion of safe and healthy communities.