Actions and Detail Panel
St Peters Life Symposium Series - BEFORE YOU HIT SEND
Wed. 10 May 2017, 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm AEST
St Peters Life Symposiums are proudly supported by the St Peters Future Foundation
St Peters Life Symposium Series is proud to present Rebecca Sparrow with Those Two Girls, BEFORE YOU HIT SEND: A social media SOS for parents + teens.
Food & Drinks available for purchase on the night.
Please arrive at 6:30 for a 7:00pm sharp start.
Acclaimed Australian author, columnist and speaker, Rebecca Sparrow, teams up with radio and online personalities Lise Carlaw and Sarah Wills of Those Two Girls for an evening of information, practical advice, wisdom, stories and sharing as they navigate, demystify and discuss social media for teens and their parents in 2017.
Rebecca Sparrow has been speaking to teens about friendship, resilience, values and leadership since 2003. In that time, she has shared her research and insights to more than 100,000 high school students across Queensland, Sydney and Melbourne. Her best-selling books (Ask me anything: heartfelt answers to 65 anonymous questions from teenage girls; Find Your Feet (the 8 things I wish I’d known before I left high school; Find Your Tribe (and 9 other things I wish I’d known in high school) have become modern go-to guides for teenage girls across the country, with Mamamia’s Mia Freedman and Australian media icon Lisa Wilkinson praising Bec’s work and contribution to today’s generation of young women.
Over the course of 60-minutes, Bec will cover the key points she feels tweenagers, teenagers and their parents need to know about students being online, including:
• the list every student must write before they (next) hit send
• social media platforms, legal ages and why those ages are important to stick to
• social media rules for your household - a few ideas to get you started
• the importance of curating your social media feed: the value of looking outward rather than inward
• consent - what does it mean and how does it apply to you?
• naked selfies: understanding the gamble you're taking, minimising risk and how to say NO when you're feeling pressured to comply.
• SOS: when things go wrong from online bullying to stolen images - what to do and who to call when things go wrong.
Hosted and moderated by HIT105's weekend breakfast show hosts and entertaining duo Those Two Girls, Lise and Sarah bring to the table their own experiences online, from the perspective of prolific users and consumers of social media, and also as parents. Always ready to ask the questions that no one wants to ask, Those Two Girls will encourage parents and teens alike to pick Bec’s brain in a no holds barred Q&A session.
This unique and timely event presents an invaluable opportunity for parents and students to open up the lines of communication and arm themselves with the knowledge required to steer a safe and enjoyable passage through the murky waters of social media.