Actions and Detail Panel
Sri Lankan Vegetarian
Sat. 3 June 2017, 10:30 am – 1:30 pm AEST
Forget everything you know about vegetarian cooking and join us on a journey through Sri Lankan cuisine where vegetables are the hero.
Brinjal Pahi [eggplant pickle]
Mallung - a traditional method of using greens in season [Kang kung/kale/silverbeet/green cabbage
Dhal and Chick Pea Curry
About The Chef
Born in Sri Lanka, Kumar studied typographic design at the London College of Printing.
After working in London he lived in Hong Kong for 18 years.
He left Hong Kong for Australia in 1988 and lives and works in Sydney. He has worked in publishing in Sydney before joining TAFE NSW where he was Senior Head Teacher Graphic Design, at Design Centre, Enmore until 2007.
In 2011 he was a contestant in MasterChef Australia, series 3 where he made it to the top 12.
In 2012 he was part of MasterChef All Stars.
His Book ‘Kumar’s Family Cookbook’ was published by Allen & Unwin, Australia in May 2013
‘Paletteables’ a set of 6 illustrated cards with cooking suggestions was published im March 2014 and is available at select stores and online; www.kumarpereira.net .
In 2016, he was co founder and food director of ‘Hopper Kadé’ which brought Sri Lankan street food to Sydney at various market stalls and a pop up at Tramsheds, Harold Park.
1. Cancellations are not refundable.
2. The Essential Ingredient reserves the right to alter or cancel a class without notice. In the event of a change, you will be contacted on the daytime phone number provided to us at time of booking.
3. Registration is from 30 minutes prior to the class start time.
4. All classes and events require closed-in shoes.
5. We cannot accommodate dietary requirements in all cases. Please contact us prior to booking on 02 9555 8300.