A DIGITAL RESEARCH INITIATIVE - A collaboration between the Office of the DVC(R), ICT and the Library, La Trobe’s Digital Research Strategy aims to provide a world-class digital research environment to enable and accelerate new research outcomes through the engagement of researchers with advanced and emerging information and computing technologies and appropriate support services.This 2 day workshop is presented by our partners, Intersect Australia Limited.
ABOUT THE INTRODUCTION TO UNIX SESSION:
The Unix environment is incredibly powerful but quite daunting to the newcomer. Command line confidence unlocks powerful computing resources beyond the desktop, including virtual machines and High Performance Computing. It enables repetitive tasks to be automated and it comes with a swag of handy tools that can be combined in powerful ways.
Getting started is the hardest part, but our helpful instructors are there to demystify Unix as you get to work running programs and writing scripts on the command line.
Every attendee is given a dedicated training environment for the duration of the workshop, with all software and data fully loaded and ready to run.
You'll learn how to:
● navigate and work with files and directories (folders).
● use a selection of essential tools.
● combine data and tools to build a processing workflow.
● automate repetitive analysis using the command line.
We teach this course within a GNU/Linux environment. This is best characterised as a Unix-like environment. We teach how to run commands within the Bash Shell. The skills you'll learn at this course are generally transferable to other Unix environments.
ABOUT THE INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING IN R SESSION:
Why should I attend?
R is quickly gaining popularity as a programming language of choice for statisticians, data scientists and researchers. It has an excellent ecosystem including the powerful RStudio development environment and the Shiny web application framework. However, getting started with R can be challenging, particularly if you've never programmed before. That's where this introductory course comes in.
Join us for a live coding workshop where we write programs that produce results, using the researcher-focused training modules from the highly regarded Software Carpentry Foundation.
● Programming concepts and techniques.
● Basic syntax, control structures and data types in R.
● How to load external data into R.
● Ways to visualise data.
● How to use factors for category data.
● Best practices for writing code in R.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THESE SESSIONS?
Researchers, PhD students and Professional staff who have not used, or have had only limited exposure to, high performance computing and who would like to start learning to code in the R programming language.
This is a 2 day workshop.
There are no minimum requirements to attend this workshop.
Save This Event
When & Where
Digital Research Team
La Trobe's Digital Research Strategy aims to:
- Enable researchers to actively engage with information and computing technologies
- Develop Digital Research expertise among researchers within the University
- Proactively enhance institutional research capabilities
- Maximise the use and enable proper management and curation of research data