Actions and Detail Panel
Safer Injecting Practices
Tue. 2 May 2017, 9:00 am – 12:30 pm AEST
This short course is designed to equip frontline health and community service practitioners with up-to-date information regarding safe injecting practices including tips on how to provide good quality harm reduction advice to people who inject drugs.
Topics covered include:
- principles underpinning ethical harm reduction
- blood borne viruses
- full overview of safe injecting practices
- how to use a wheel filter
- vein care
- safe disposal in the context of the law
- accessing needle and syringe programs in Queensland.
Participants will also be provided with an overview of the types of injecting equipment available at primary NSPs and witness a practical demonstration of safe injecting with a prosthetic arm.
Presenters: Jeff Buckley and Susan Dhann