This short course is designed to equip frontline health and community service practitioners with up-to-date information regarding safe injecting practices including tips on how to provide good quality harm reduction advice to people who inject drugs.
Areas covered include:
- principles underpinning ethical harm reduction
- blood borne viruses
- full overview of safe injecting practices
- how to use a wheel fliter
- vein care
- safe disposal in the context of the law
- accessing needle and syringe porgrams in Queensland.
Participants will also be provided with an overview of the types of injecting equipment available at primary NSPs and witness a practical demonstration of safe injecting with a prosthetic arm.
Susan Dhann, Clinical Nurse, Brisbane Harm Reduction Centre, Biala
Jeff Buckley, Director, State-wide Clinical Support Services.