Thursday, June 24, 2010 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (AEST)
Time : 9.30 am - 12.30 pm 24 June 2010, Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Cost : If you do not already have a World of Warcraft subscription it will cost US$34.98 - you need to pay this directly to Blizzard
Location : Saurfang realm in World of Warcraft, meeting place is outside the Stormwind Keep.
The seminar will explore options of using online games environments to provide library services, especially in the area of readers advisory services.
- Adam Beck from Central Arkansas Library System will be talking about how his library uses World of Warcraft
- Liz Danforth who is well known for writing the Games, Gamers, and Gaming” column for Library Journal both in print and online will be talking about some of the possibilities for public libraries using online environments @LizDanforth
- Huon Longman a PhD student at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) will talk about his research into the value of online relationships in World of Warcraft will talk about his research into the social value of online communities
- Shawn McCann, the first immersive learning (gaming) librarian appointed at McMaster University in Canada will talk about his experiences and ideas.
- Scott Nicholson @snicholson, Association Professor for Syracuse University School of Information Studies will discuss non-digital games for libraries - card, board, roleplaying, big games, puzzle hunts. They are much lower cost per player, have a longer shelf life, and are a much more low-risk way for a library to get into games @snicholson
To participate in this seminar you will need an Alliance toon in Saufang as the seminar is taking place in World of Warcraft. You will need a paid account as full chat function is not available in the 10 day trial accounts.
It includes information on the pre-seminar preparation.
This slideshare may help you with getting started
Contact Ellen Forsyth on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
If you are tweeting, blogging or posting to Flicker, please use #rugame2010