Join us for an exciting new 3 day workshop with a twist on the outskirts of Sydney.
In this workshop you will be transforming an old army home into an incredible 2 story straw wall dream home using traditional timber frames with external walls handmade using a light clay/straw method using...our straw canon!
Light clay/straw (or slip straw or straw/clay) construction uses straw mixed with clay slip to create an insulation material with good thermal, moisture-handling and structural properties. More info on light clay straw here>. You'll be lime rendering externally, clay rendering internally and building internal cob walls.
This is a working straw bale workshop that means no spectactors please. There's a small fee of $66 per person for 3 days of experience on a natural straw house. The owners will provide morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. Other people charge $800 ea for these kind of workshops so you're saving a lot. We would love to see you there!
This is what you will be doing and learning:
- Mixing and packing the light clay/straw into the walls around the traditional timber frames
- Then you’ll make cob walls (solid earth walls like mud bricks)
- You'll also do rendering (internal and external), usually the first and part of the second coat of render. This is such great experience so you can practise
- You’ll see what tools and materials we use, how services are dealt with, how to prepare the walls for rendering. How we prepare the soil and clay before rendering. Best of all, you’ll work out if you’re up to building your own straw bale home. We normally have work stations so you will rotate and get experience doing all of the jobs on site. It’s sure to be a great workshop where you’ll meet similar minded people and learn loads!
Date: 17 - 19 Nov Thurs to Sat (3 days)
Time: 8am- 5pm (be prompt for the safety induction)
Address: Near Richmond NSW Australia (address tba)
Camping will be not be available on site.
Accommodation in the area:
New Inn Motel - 02 4578 0520
Colonial Motel Richmond - 02 4578 1166
Bowman Cottage - 02 4578 3056
Richmond Inn - 02 4578 1044
Note: If you would like information on how to build a strawbale home, please do one of our courses as we won't go through specifics or theory. This is a working workshop
By purchasing tickets, you agree to these terms and conditions:
- Your place is booked and confirmed only when we receive your payment
- You'll be prompt each day 8am start please
- It is a non-refundable/non-transferable deposit even if you don’t end up going
- If you take photos or videos during the workshop, you’ll only use them for personal use
- You are fit and healthy and will work the all the days that you’ve specified
- You will give Viva Homes more than 48 hours warning if you cannot attend
- You may be photographed or filmed by Viva Living Homes and am happy for them to use the photos in promotional material. If you’re not ok with this, tell us immediately & at the workshop
- You’ll come prepared for work and will bring appropriate clothes (long sleeves & pants) & boots to work in
- Before starting work on site, you'll do a safety induction lead by one of our Team
Dietary Needs: Lunch, morning and afternoon teas will be provided. We will try to cater for general needs. However, if you have special dietary needs or food allergies we ask you to please bring your own specialty foods.
What workshoppers have said about them -
“I just finished another workshop and rendering is now so much easier. Something just happened so I don’t have to think about what I’m doing now. It’s so exciting!” Shannon
"Amazing experience! Highly recommended! The viva team were incredibly encouraging and it was wonderful meeting like minded people. The knowledge and experience gained was invaluable. Thanks guys :)" Erin
"The workshop last year was definitely a must and so helpful to have the basic idea of what we are trying to achieve" Ilari