Actions and Detail Panel
Reablement and Wellness - Working Effectively with Consumers (for Support W...
Thu. 6 April 2017, 9:30 am – 1:00 pm AEST
Reablement and Wellness and the Critical Role of Support Workers
The success of the reablement and wellness focus in maximising independence often relies on the skills of the support worker implementing the agreed support plan. This three hour workshop explores the basics of the reablement and wellness approach and what it means for support staff who work directly with clients. It is a very practical session which showcases how support workers can use the enablement philosophy in their everyday practice with their clients, supporting them to be as independent and in control as possible. This session is specifically designed for support workers and is also relevant for volunteers.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• tell the difference between a traditional (maintenance) and an enabling approach in direct support work with clients
• understand and appreciate the value of an enablement approach with their clients
• understand, describe and demonstrate how they can contribute as direct support workers to goal orientated support plans.
• What is an enabling approach
• Why and when is an enabling approach used in community care
• Different reablement techniques direct support workers and volunteers can use in providing social support, transport, personal care and domestic assistance, etc.
This workshop includes morning tea.