Actions and Detail Panel
QLD Sunshine Coast - “But they’re just playing!” Language and literacy in...
Fri. 12 May 2017, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm AEST
Do you ever wonder…
- if you are being intentional enough in your teaching of language and literacy?
- what language and literacy learning looks like in the early years?
- what YOUR role is in language and literacy learning within a play based framework?
- if families value play as the context for language and literacy development?
Early childhood programs are in the prime position to enact positive experiences for young children that will contribute to a sound foundation in language and literacy development. Yet, we often question (or have others question us) on what is the best way to ‘teach’ language and literacy in the early years, and are increasingly being pressured to implement learning within a ‘push down’ perspective.
Using the EYLF as the frame of reference, this workshop will:
- Provide a definition of language and literacy development in the early years
- Discuss why language and literacy learning is a ‘hot button’ issue today
- Provide a framework for practice in emergent, play based language and literacy programs
- Explore strategies to scaffold and enhance language and literacy opportunities
- Discuss how we communicate language and literacy development to families.
This workshop meets:
NQS QA1, QA6 and QA7
APST 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.5, 3.3 and 3.7
QKLG Active learning, Communicating
VEYLDF Practice Principles: High expectations, Assessment for learning and development, integrated teaching and learning approaches