Powerful Text Searching & Matching with Regular Expressions (Melbourne Campus)
Friday, 16 December 2016 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (AEDT)
A DIGITAL RESEARCH INITIATIVE - A collaboration between the Office of the DVC(R), ICT and the Library, La Trobe’s Digital Research Strategy aims to provide a world-class digital research environment to enable and accelerate new research outcomes through the engagement of researchers with advanced and emerging information and computing technologies and appropriate support services.
ABOUT THIS SESSION:
Regular Expressions (regexes) are a powerful way to handle a multitude of different types of data. They can be used to find patterns in text and make sophisticated replacements. Think of them as find and replace on steroids. Come along to this workshop to learn what they can do and how to apply them to your research. This workshop is presented by our partners, Intersect Australia Limited.
You’ll learn how to:
- Comprehend and apply the syntax of regular expressions
- Use the http://regexr.com tool to test a regular expression against some text
- Construct simple regular expressions to find capitalised words; all numbers; all words that start with a specific set of letters, etc. in a block of text
- Craft and test a progressively more complex regular expression
- Find helpful resources covering regular expressions on the web
WHY SHOULD I ATTEND?
Have you ever wanted to extract phone numbers out of a block of unstructured text, or all of the email addresses in your Inbox, or find all the words that start with “e” and end with “ed”, no matter their length? Or search through DNA sequences for a pattern? Or extract coordinates from GPS data?
No previous knowledge of Regexes is required.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
All researchers and research students.
Save This Event
When & Where
Digital Research Team
La Trobe's Digital Research Strategy aims to:
- Enable researchers to actively engage with information and computing technologies
- Develop Digital Research expertise among researchers within the University
- Proactively enhance institutional research capabilities
- Maximise the use and enable proper management and curation of research data