Do you have a project in mind, but are missing the tools or expertise to make it happen? Open Shop is where you can use our equipment while receiving guidance from our expert facilitators. Need to repair that wobbly chair, or build a box to hold your records? We can help.
People of all skill levels are welcome. Sessions are 4 hours long, and larger projects may take multiple sessions, depending on your skill level. Please purchase one ticket per person, even if you intend to work on a project together.
Materials costs are not included, so bring your own supplies. We have several recommendations for buying both new and reclaimed lumber, just ask! We do have several barrels full of FREE scrap hardwoods for smaller projects like cutting boards, coasters or wooden utensils, etc.
Unfortunately, we don't have the space to store works-in-progress, so items must be taken with you at the end of the workshop. We include reasonable use of blades on equipment in the fee. Consumables (grinding disc, sanding pads, etc) and fasteners are available for purchase.
Before signing up, please email your project idea to firstname.lastname@example.org and read through the Waiver, Release of Liability Form, and sign if you agree. Once we know what project you intend to work on, we can prepare to assist you! Of course, we'll let you know ahead of time if we see any issues with your project.
Below is the list of approved tools for Open Shop. Again, tool use subject to instructor approval.
- Delta 10” table saw - Unisaw (instructor use only)
- 15” Miter Saw - Hitachi C15FB
- 12” Double Bevel Sliding Miter Saw - Bosch GCM12SD
- Scroll Saw - Dewalt DW788-1
- 6” Belt & 12” Disc Sander - Jet JSG-6DC
- 5-1/2" Oscillating Spindle Sander - Jet 708404 JBOS-5
- 18” Bandsaw - Laguna LT18SE16
- Panel Saw - Safety Speed H5 w/ 2.5HP 8” Milwaukee 6410 Saw
- 20” Helical Head Planer - Jet JWP-208HH
- 6” Helical Head Jointer - Grizzly G0452Z
- 6” Quill Drill Press - Powermatic PM2800B
- Mig Welder - Miller 211
- Mounted Metal Bandsaw - Milwaukee 6230
- 14” Abrasive Cut-off Saw - Ridgid R4141
- Bench Grinder - JBG-6A
- Horizontal/Vertical Mitering Band Saw - JET HVBS-10S
- Plasma Cutter - Hobart AirForce 40i
- Wet Tile Saw - Husky THD950
- 5HP - 60 Gallon Air Compressor for Shop Air
Wood Power Tools
- 2.25HP Router - Bosch 1617 - Fixed & Plunge base or Router Table
- Oscillating Tool - Bosch MX25A
- Micro Pin Nailer - Porter Cable PIN100
- Brad Nailer - Bostitch BT1855
- 2” Staple Gun - Spot Nail XS6650
- Finish Nailer - Hitachi NT65MA4
- Frame Nailer - Hitachi NR 90AE(S)
- Biscuit Joiner - Makita PJ7000
- 5” Round Orbital and 4” Square Palm Sanders
- 18V Dewalt Hammer Drill, Drill, Impact Drivers, ½” Impact Wrench
- 12V Dewalt Drill, Impact Driver
- Jig Saw - Dewalt DW317-1
- Worm Drive and Direct Drive 7-¼” Circular Saws
Metal Power Tools
- 4.5”, 6”, 9” Grinders (cut off, grinding, and flapper disc)
- Sawzall - Milwaukee 6520-21-B02C
Misc. Power Tools
- 1-9/16” Spline Rotary Hammer - Bosch 11247
- 1” SDS Rotary Hammer - Bosch 11255VSR
- Rotary Tool - Dremel 4000
- Metric & SAE Wrenches and Socket Sets
- Hand Saws
- Metal Files
- Tin Snips
- Measuring Tools
WORKSHOP & OPEN SHOP POLICIES:
- Closed-toe shoes are required.
- No loose or dangling hair, clothing or jewelry can be worn in the shop.
- Shop temperature fluctuates, wear layers. Wear jeans if metalworking.
- Must be 18+ to participate in workshops or open shop.
- If for any reason Maker Village KC needs to cancel a class or workshop, you will be notified and refunded.
OUR ADDRESS: 606 E 31st. Street. KC, MO 64109 (⊙﹏⊙)
PARKING: Free street parking on 31st street and Cherry street.
PUBLIC TRANSIT: Maker Village is accessible through RideKC. For more information or to plan your trip, visit ridekc.org/ or use the Google Maps iphone/android app.