Murdoch University are calling Aboriginal artists to create our Indigenous graduand sash. The sash will be used as a way for Murdoch University Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander students to celebrate their culture, upon graduation and will be worn in addition to the regalia that graduation students are required to wear. The Aboriginal sash will be provided to students, without cost, to wear during graduation.
All Aboriginal artists are invited to submit their work for entry into this competition. Murdoch University will be looking for a digital artwork piece that fulfils the below criteria.
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
Entries must be created in a still medium with high resolution to be able to be digitally printed on poly/viscose and satin fabric.
The following themes were provided by the Murdoch University Elder panel into the design of the sash:
- The submission must represent the Noongar land where the Kulbardi Aboriginal Centre is located.
- The colour palette for this submission include the following colours: blue, black, green, red, white and yellow.
- The colours of black, red and yellow, as a combination, should not dominate the sash;
Ideas brought forward by the Elder panel for the design of the sash were designs that:
- Incorporated a river design, such as the shape of the Swan River as it flows through Perth;
- The colour of the blue sky and blue water;
- Incorporate the colour of trees and bushes as these are symbols of healing in many Aboriginal communities across Australia and a key feature of the Murdoch landscape;
- Incorporation of the Kulbardi and the native banksia.
Please include the design, story behind the design and a short bio with your submission. Please submit your contact details via the Eventbrite link and email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
The presence of the winning artist when the sash is produced is encouraged but not required. As is often the case in these situations, the artist provides their artwork and waives their rights on the given creation.
The closing date for an application is 5pm WST, 17th of December 2016. Best of luck!
Please see the below dimensions: