Actions and Detail Panel
Managing Volunteers – Understanding the Legal Issues
Tue. 29 August 2017, 9:30 am – 4:00 pm AEST
Does your community organisation engage volunteers? Do you know the legal differences between paid and unpaid workers? This session provides essential training for anyone in a position of managing or co-ordinating volunteers.
Topics covered will include:
- The key legal differences between a volunteer, an employee and an independent contractor (and other ‘statuses’ like work for the dole participants, mutual obligation volunteering, internships etc.).
- The volunteer selection process and anti-discrimination laws
- The importance of volunteer screening and background checks
- The ‘duty of care’ an organisation owes to and for its volunteers
- Volunteers and risk management
- The importance of volunteer insurance
- Reimbursing or paying volunteers
- Volunteers’ personal information and privacy
- Reviewing volunteer performance and having difficult conversations
- Ending the volunteer relationship
On completion of this training, participants will understand how the law applies to volunteers and the implications this has for volunteer management practices.
Presented by a lawyer from Not-for-profit law with expertise in volunteer law and experiences delivering training to community organisations.