Level 4 - Intensive Plan Preparers and CPESC Preparations - 2 day course
Kangaroo Point, QLD
San Francisco, California, USA
London, United Kingdom
Level 4 Intensive Plan Preparers and CPESC Preparations
This 2 day intensive course aims to provide the skills to engineers, technicians and managers responsible for designing, implementing or assessing erosion and sediment control plans. At the completion of the course attendees will have sufficient competency to complete the assessment requirements (namely ‘Fundamentals Exam’ and ‘Take Home Assignment’) in order to gain the internationally recognised accreditation ‘Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control’ (CPESC).
The intensive delivery format of this course results in reduced downtime and client/project costs as a result of staff being unavailable for a reduced time compared to other high level ESC courses. To ensure the best learning opportunities for participants and increased one-on-one time with the presenter, class sizes are typically limited to 6 participants.
The content of our 2 day intensive plan prepares course has been developed using both in-house resources and expertise as well as drawing on relevant technical specialists including Grant Witheridge from Catchments and Creeks who is the Author of the IECA 2008 document “Best Practice Erosion and Sediment Control” and Lester Manning a partner of one of Queensland’s leading environmental law firms, P&E Law.
The O2 experience offers the best of both worlds, delivering the combined knowledge and experience of a group of industry experts who within specialist fields combine to deliver a holistic, practical and well organised course.
The Level 4 course is focussed towards practitioners and professionals who want to obtain CPESC status and are typically involved in planning and decision making surrounding ESC.
To gain value from the course, attendees should have an existing understanding and experience with erosion and sediment control and base level of knowledge surrounding soils and the fundamentals of hydrology and hydraulics.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Effectively apply the requirements of the IECA 2008 Best Practice Erosion and Erosion and Sediment Control manual to your site.
- Sit the ‘Fundamentals ESC exam’ required for the CPESC qualification. Note, O2 can arrange for attendees to sit an exam at completion of the course or at a later date.
- Confidently assess, analyse and complete the ‘Take Home Assignment’ required for the CPESC qualification. Note, as part of the Level 4 course attendees will develop skills and be supplied with tools to allow sediment basin sizing, drainage design and plan preparation (similar to that required for the ‘Take Home Assignment’).
- Understand the key legislation elements relevant to ESC.
- Understand basic soil science relevant to erosion management and revegetation.
- Effectively size temporary drainage measures to comply with construction site hydrology and hydraulics issues and best practice requirements.
- Effectively design sediment basins and associated infrastructure including emergency spillways and outlet structures. Develop appreciation of the limitations and management practices required to effectively achieve water quality objectives/release conditions.
- Familiarity with types and suitability of revegetation techniques for different circumstances.
- BMP inspection and auditing requirements.
The Level 4 course is delivered by a number of specialists employed by O2, including:
Terry Clark is a Senior Environmental Engineer with over 10 years direct experience in the area of soil and water management. Terry is currently employed as Technical Services Manager for ESC within O2. As such he is focused on improving awareness within both industry and the wider community regarding the importance of managing ESC.
Terry has completed over 100 ESC plans within QLD and NT and has worked on some of the biggest infrastructure and mining projects in the country including CSG for all major proponents and most contractors.
Terry has trained over 500 people in QLD and NSW. Terry holds the internationally recognised accreditation ‘Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control’ (CPESC) and is a Certified Professional Soil Scientist (CPSS) (level 1).
Kyle is an experienced Senior Water Engineer who specialises in erosion and sediment control, stormwater management and water sensitive urban design. Kyle has experience in a wide range of land development, landfill, quarry, mining and gas projects and is experienced in the planning and design phase as well as the construction and operational phases.
Throughout his career, Kyle has developed skills in Water Quality Modelling (MUSIC) and Hydraulic and Hydrologic Modelling (XP-SWMM, HEC-RAS, MIKE-Flood).
As a Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC), Kyle is experienced in developing erosion and sediment control plans as well as providing field advice and auditing. Kyle also specialises in the design of High-Efficiency Sediment Basins on use in construction, landfill and quarry sites.
Jon is a Senior Soil Scientist with extensive experience in land resource assessment and planning activities within government and the private sector. He has a proven track record of undertaking high quality field assessments and providing accurate, timely technical advice to a range of clients. Jon is a Certified Professional in Soil Science (CPSS, Level 2).
Jon’s key skills focus on soil survey (using traditional or modelling methods), land suitability, good quality agricultural land, strategic cropping land, acid sulfate soils, salinity and soil erosion. Jon’s strong field assessment skills are complemented by extensive experience in the application of land resource knowledge in planning processes, particularly through implementation of acid sulfate soils, good quality agricultural land and strategic cropping land legislation.
- morning tea, lunch and refreshments
- venue hire
- training tools
- printed course notes with design assistance tools and resources.
- Hydraulic design of flow through basins
- Expert witness
- Defence to prosecution.
Masterclasses are typically short duration (approx. 1-4 hours), practical focussed and tailored for you site/project/staff needs.
If you can’t attend one of our courses on the dates listed, or need training customised to your organisation’s requirements, please contact us to arrange a private training course at your place of business. Private courses are conducted on a fixed fee basis and can include up to 25 attendees.
Click here for the Level 4 ESC Plan Preparers Training Brochure