Learn how to create realistic explosions, smoke, fire and other dynamic visual effects in this new training class from Rising Sun Pictures. Introduction to Dynamic Effects for Feature Film Using Houdini will introduce you to a software program that has become a standard tool in feature film and high-end television production, especially when dealing with complex phenomena that cannot be created with conventional animation or modelling. The course will be taught by visual effects artist Thomas Cant, whose recent credits include X-Men: Days of Future Past, Pan, and the soon to be released Gods of Egypt and Tarzan. Developed by Side Effects, Houdini is a full 3D production package, with a procedural, node-based workflow. Artists proficient in its use are in high demand worldwide. In the latest offering from RSP’s well-regarded training program, Thomas Cant teaches students the basics of working with this highly flexible program in a simulated production environment. By the end of the course, students will have created their own realistic dynamic effects. 3D assets will be provided by RSP.
The course will cover:
1. Getting started – Navigating Houdini's interface and the structure of a Houdini file. This will provide an overview of Houdini's various contexts, from modelling to physically based simulations.
2. Proceduralism – Using Houdini's node based work-flow to produce non-destructive and versatile systems, with extremely complex results, without needing to be a coding genius.
3. Working at the Atomic Level – manipulating data at its most fundamental level to make your effects highly direct-able and flexible. Introducing the concepts of attributes, points and primitives and creating custom operators from scratch.
4. Simulation Physics – How to create realistic motion and behaviour in your simulations by understanding concepts such as velocity, accelation, mass and viscosity. We will learn when to recreate and when to fake real world rules and phenomena.
5. Directing your work – Obtaining an eye for detail and performance by analysing and recreating a real-world effect. In addition to the technical aspects of the course, a keen visual sense will be developed throughout the 10 weeks.
Introduction to Dynamic Effects for Feature Film Using Houdini comprises 10 weekly session beginning Wednesday 10th August. Classes will be held on Mondays from 6.30pm to 9.30 pm at either at Rising Sun Pictures, Level1, 180 Pulteney St, Adelaide SA 5000, or at The Academy of Interactive Entertainment in Grenfell St (students will be notified closer to the start date.) Rising Sun Pictures has been offering training for visual effects artists since 2013. Classes are small in size and emphasize practical, commercially viable skills. Its regular training program has produced dozens of graduates many of whom have found work as junior artists at visual effects studios in Australia and elsewhere.
For more information about training at Rising Sun Pictures visit education.rsp.com.au
Rising Sun Pictures are a passionate team of producers, artists and technicians, known globally for delivering complex visual effects on high profile feature film and television projects. Our clients are inspired by the creative and technical solutions we deliver, and our team is integral in providing a truly collaborative experience. RSP is currently working on Pan, Tarzan and Gods of Egypt, with recent film credits including X-Men: Days of Future Past, Gravity, The Seventh Son, The Wolverine, The Great Gatsby, The Hunger Games, Prometheus, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Green Lantern and the final five Harry Potter films.