If you loved Introduction to Dynamic Effects with Houdini, this course will take you further.
We will go deeper into fundamental concepts and build your knowledge foundation to help you build your own effects from scratch.
FX is a bit of a mystery discipline. It can be involved in almost every step of the 3D production pipeline.
Learn where to use FX to leverage the processing powers of computers to work for you. This course is about figuring out how and what to tell the computer what to do. This procedural workflow extremely powerful which is why we use it in film, video games, etc.
Intermediate Dynamic Effects for Feature Film Using Houdini will strengthen your knowledge of the software program that has become a standard tool in feature film and high-end television production, especially when dealing with complex phenomena that cannot be created with conventional animation or modelling.
The course will be taught by visual effects artist Julien Taton, whose recent credits include Game of Thrones: Season 6, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Pan, Gods of Egypt and Tarzan.
Developed by Side Effects, Houdini is a full 3D production package, with a procedural, node-based workflow. Artists proficient in its use are in high demand worldwide. In the latest offering from RSP’s well-regarded training program, Julien Taton teaches students to build their knowledge bases within this highly flexible program in a simulated production environment. By the end of the course, students will have created their own FX project. 3D assets will be provided by RSP.
You will need some basic background knowledge to help you succeed. You will need a competent understanding of:
- Year 12 mathematics, especially algebra and trigonometry.
- Basic programming principles.
- How to use Houdini’s interface. (Possibly having completed the Introduction Houdini course).
- At least high school physics.
The course covers
Create a project for your showreel:
- create plants/trees/rocks
- create terrain
Create a shot
- using copy/stamp then instancing
- art-direct the placement of the assets
- looking into rendering/shading
Add fx to the shot
- fire/embers spreading
- looking into destruction rendering
- looking into fire rendering
- Directing your work – Obtaining an eye for detail and performance by analysing and recreating a real-world effect.
- In addition to the technical aspects of the course, a keen visual sense will be developed throughout the 10 weeks.
For more information about training at Rising Sun Pictures visit education.rsp.com.au
Rising Sun Pictures are a passionate team of producers, artists and technicians, known globally for delivering complex visual effects on high profile feature film and television projects. Our clients are inspired by the creative and technical solutions we deliver, and our team is integral in providing a truly collaborative experience. RSP is currently working on Pan, Tarzan and Gods of Egypt, with recent film credits including X-Men: Days of Future Past, Gravity, The Seventh Son, The Wolverine, The Great Gatsby, The Hunger Games, Prometheus, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Green Lantern and the final five Harry Potter films.