Actions and Detail Panel
Independent Contractors: Benefits and risks for your business
Wed. 9 August 2017, 8:00 am – 9:30 am AEST
As economic pressures increase, more organisations are reducing their permanent staff and looking to more flexible methods of managing their human resourcing. Similarity many staff are looking for greater flexibility and structuring remuneration in tax effective ways.
Contractor arrangements are a common means to achieve this flexibility. However, recent cases have shown that if such arrangements are improperly introduced, potentially severe penalties and other financial and legal exposures can be imposed on the “employer”.
Learn to utilise independent contractor arrangements to the benefit of your organisation while managing your legal risk. In this seminar, we will cover:
- independent contractor basics including:
- o Learn to define when a worker is really an employee for minimum wage, unfair dismissal, leave, and other employment related entitlements
- o Business requirements in relation to Superannuation, PAYG, workers compensation and payroll tax
- o How to avoid sham contracting and unfair contracting in your Independent Contractor arrangements.
- recent approaches taken by the Courts and the Fair Work Ombudsman
- the risks associated with independent contractor arrangements and tips to manage them
Who should attend this seminar?
- Human Resources Professionals
- Professional Services Firms