Masterclass: Improving Public Policy in a Complex World
Facilitators: Dave Snowden and Thomas Townsend
Governments are struggling to find effective policies for their most important challenges. Emphasis has predominantly been on “policy fixes” and creating responses that are applied uniformly. Although such practices are valid under certain circumstances, they are unable to adequately address emerging issues in today’s more volatile and complex world. Increasingly issues are:
- understood differently by different groups
- difficult or impossible to address without the collaboration of many actors
- subject to varying local conditions and response capabilities.
This 2-day Masterclass is ideal for those in government who would like to learn new approaches and practices that generate better policy analysis, and increase their impact by using advances in complexity science, sense-making, and resilience thinking.
Policy practitioner and researcher Thomas Townsend and UK-based complexity thought-leader Professor Dave Snowden will introduce a new set of leadership disciplines and tools for policy professionals at this training event.
In this course participants will:
- Explore where traditional policy practices are effective (and where they aren’t)
- Learn new approaches to real-time citizen engagement, and how to organize the policy process around advances in information gathering
- Learn how to effectively deal with inherently uncertain situations – where we must act before we can know
- Use the Cynefin Framework to improve the building of public strategy
- Employ operational capabilities in new ways to strengthen policy impacts
- Examine Design Thinking as it is applied to complex policy challenges
- Develop better delivery management, exploring how vector targeting can produce more effective responses
- Look at evaluation structures that are more responsive to ongoing learning and unanticipated changes.
Who should attend the seminar?
Executives and policy leaders interested in policy innovation and who wish to be better equipped to make sense of whole policy environment.
Cognitive Edge reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule the offered session. In the event of cancelation or rescheduling, a full refund of course fees will be processed within 10 business days of cancellation or rescheduling notice. Cancellations by registrants are only permitted with a minimum of 3 weeks notice ahead of course delivery date with refunds provided less a 10% processing fee. Substitutions are permitted at any time as well as rescheduling attendance to an alternate session within a 12 month period.
Explanation of the ticket choices:
1 If you are part of a group of four (4) or more people, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a group discount.
2 Premium Members get 15% discount on all training. Sign up for the Network here: Cognitive Edge network registration for a Basic membership. When you’ve done that you’ll be directed to the Network Dashboard page, click on the upgrade option to pay to become a Premium member and use the 15% discount code.
Group discounts cannot be used cumulatively with Network Membership discounts. If you have further questions, please contact email@example.com