Actions and Detail Panel
HRVic's Drug Law ReforUm- Put The 'U' in Drug Law Reform
Fri. 14 October 2016, 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm AEDT
Harm Reduction Victoria (HRVic) presents a stimulating forum focusing on the upcoming Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into Illicit and Synthetic Substances and Prescription Medication. Celebrated health and human rights professionals, academics and politicians will join with Victorians who use drugs to highlight opportunities the Inquiry presents for drug law reform, drug policy and service delivery changes.
Our eclectic line up of speakers are:
- Jenny Kelsall Executive Officer HRVic
- Professor Alison Ritter, Drug Policy Modelling Program (DPMP), National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), UNSW
- Helen Barnacle, Psychologist
- Fiona Patten MP, Australian Sex Party
- Dr Monica Barratt, DPMP NDARC UNSW
- Colleen Hartland MP, Victorian Greens Spokesperson for Health and Mental Health
- Dr David Caldicott, Associate Professor,Emergency Consultant at the Emergency Department of the Calvary Hospital in Canberra, Clinical Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Medicine at the Australian National University.
- Dr Kate Seear, SSAC Associate and Senior Lecturer in Law, Monash University
- Ash Blackwell, candidate for the Drug Law Reform Australia Party in the seat of Wills.
- Sam Biondo, chief executive of the Victorian Alcohol and Drug Association (VAADA)
Forum topics will include:
- Alternatives to, and repercussions of, criminalisation.
- The importation and use of global harm reduction and demand reduction evidence-based practices.
- Weakened harm reduction strategy funding vs aiding and abetting overdoses and the transmission of blood borne viruses: a juxtaposition.
- Pharmacotherapies: what are our options?
- Pill testing phenomenon; and where to from here?
- Marijuana: legal and free?
HRVic Individual and Organisation Members are FREE*
*Due to limited seating and a high demand for tickets,Organisational Members are limited to a maximum of 2 free tickets.