Actions and Detail Panel
How to support students on the Autism Spectrum in the preschool/child care...
Wed. 9 November 2016, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm ACDT
Participants will experience an engaging, hands-on day filled with relevant and practical strategies to best support an individual on the Autism Spectrum (includes autism and Asperger syndrome) in the preschool setting.
The workshop has been developed by a multi-disciplinary team to ensure the most relevant strategies are presented and discussed in this new workshop.
A range of topics will be covered including:
• What is autism/ Asperger syndrome
• How is a diagnosis made
• What support is available for preschool settings and families
• Difficulties with learning
• Enhancing communication- how to modify verbal language and use visual supports
• Supporting transition
• Developing play skills in the preschool setting
• Adapting the environment to increase engagement and reduce challenging behaviour
• Motor and sensory difficulties and the impact on skills
• Q & A time
Participants will leave the workshop with a greater knowledge of ASD, enhanced ability to adapt the environment to suit individual needs, and a greater confidence in identifying when intervention strategies are needed and how to successfully apply strategies in the preschool setting.