Join us on another great straw bale workshop to help build a 3 bedroom home near Goulburn. It's a solar passive home with external strawbale walls, cob internal walls, clay internal walls and lime rendered external walls.
This is a working straw bale workshop that means no spectactors please. In exchange for your hard work, we only charge a nominal fee of $120 per person for 4 days of experience on a straw bale house. The owners will provide morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. Other people charge $800 ea for these kind of workshops so you're saving a lot.
This is what you will be doing and learning:
- Putting straw bale walls around traditional timber frames
- Raise the straw bale walls, tension and brace them down
- Fill any holes with cob
- Then you’ll make cob walls (solid earth walls like mud bricks)
- You'll also do rendering (internal and external), usually the first and part of the second coat of render. This is such great experience so you can practise
- You’ll see what tools and materials we use, how services are dealt with, how to prepare the walls for rendering. How we prepare the soil and clay before rendering. Best of all, you’ll work out if you’re up to building your own straw bale home. We normally have work stations so you will rotate and get experience doing all of the jobs on site. It’s sure to be a great workshop where you’ll meet similar minded people and learn loads!
Date - 3rd - 6th November 2016 Thursday to Sunday
Time - 8am- 5pm (be prompt for the safety induction)
Address - Near Goulburn NSW Australia (address tba)
Camping will be available on site, there will be a toilet but no shower. Please advise us if you are planning to camp when you purchase your tickets.
Other accomodation in the area:
Best Western Goulburn - 02 4821 2422
Goulburn Central Motor Lodge - 02 4821 1655
Alpine Heritage - 02 4821 2930
Goulburn Motor Inn - 02 4821 4488
Note: If you would like information on how to build a strawbale home, please do one of our courses as we won't go through specifics or theory. This is a working workshop
By purchasing tickets, you agree to these terms and conditions:
- Your place is booked and confirmed only when we receive your payment
- You'll be prompt each day 8am start please
- It is a non-refundable/non-transferable deposit even if you don’t end up going
- If you take photos or videos during the workshop, you’ll only use them for personal use
- You are fit and healthy and will work the all the days that you’ve specified
- You will give Viva Homes more than 48 hours warning if you cannot attend
- You may be photographed or filmed by Viva Living Homes and am happy for them to use the photos in promotional material. If you’re not ok with this, tell us immediately & at the workshop
- You’ll come prepared for work and will bring appropriate clothes (long sleeves & pants) & boots to work in
- Before starting work on site, you'll do a safety induction lead by one of our Team
Dietary Needs: Lunch, morning and afternoon teas will be provided (you'll need to do your own breakfasts and dinners though). We will try to cater for general needs. However, to be safe, if you have special dietary needs or food allergies we ask you to please bring your own specialty foods as we cannot guarantee the food we supply will be free from allergens.
Save This Event
When & Where
Viva Living Homes
Sam educates builders, architects, owner builders and councils from all over Australia and regularly runs workshops at the Australian Rural Education Centre, Milkwood Permaculture, The Sydney Home Show, Australian Technology Association (ATA) and local councils around Australia. He has built over 30 straw bale homes and have built 3 of his own straw bale homes. He lives in one himself.
Sam’s qualifications include:
- Licensed Builder and Supervisor
- Bachelor of Economics (Agriculture)
- Qualified Carpenter
- Master Builder with the Master Builders Assoc (MBA)
- Cert IV - Training & Assessing
- Building Thermal & Assessment (Australian energy rating course)
- NSW Rep & Member of Australasian Straw Bale Building Association (Ausbale)
- Member of Earth Building Association of Australia (EBAA)
- 2014 Excellence in Building awards from the MBA for “Environmental Management” and “Best House under $500,000”.