** ONLINE SELF PACED COURSE **
** START ANY TIME **
Know what to keep and what to discard as volume, variety, and velocity of digital information intensifies.
Course Benefits and Objectives
Many organizations rely on paper-based principles to manage electronic records, but this doesn’t work with the growing volume, velocity, and variety of information. The AIIM Electronic Records Management (ERM) course gives you a thorough understanding of how to best automate the way electronic records are identified, captured, and classified. The course covers the entire lifecycle of documents and records, ISO standard 15489, and related concepts with special emphasis on email capture and retention as well as new content types such as social media.
The course information is founded on the best practices of our more than 150,000-member community. It is applicable across all industries, and is independent of any particular technology or vendor solution.
The ERM Specialist course covers the following document management topics:
- Key business drivers for improving ERM, and, basic principles for managing electronic records. The different types of records to be managed; determining whether something is a record; and how to capture records.
- Metadata, its uses and sources, and methods for collecting and applying metadata. The importance of metadata and how to automate the identification of business records.
- The approaches to automating the capture of business records.
- The purpose and benefits of a records and information inventory and the key information to gather as part of an inventory.
- Classification concepts and schemes and how to develop a classification scheme.
- Approaches to searching for and retrieving records.
- Concepts of retention and disposition; how to export and transfer records; and how to dispose of records.
- Establishing a defensible disposition plan; how to automate records holds and records collection; and how to automate the disposition of electronic records.
- Preservation risk factors; approaches to digital preservation; and the steps required to perform a migration.
This course is ideal for...
IT, records managers, business unit managers, and other professionals who need to ensure that your organization’s information and records are managed effectively.
You’ll acquire the necessary skills to:
- Develop metadata models, classification schemes, and access controls
- Set retention schedules and disposition policy
- Apply digital preservation techniques
- Understand legislation and regulations
- Implement and execute ERM projects
Online modules can be studied in your own time at whatever pace suits you. The modules are accompanied by slides, notes, voice track and controls to allow you to review, repeat, skip forward or back.
The relevant accreditation, for example is awarded after you complete a final online assessment. Further information can be found on www.aiim.org/training.
Who should book for Online training?
This style of training cuts down on travel and expense costs, and avoids booking time away from work to attend in person. The training can be spread over several days or weeks, and results in the same accreditation as if you attended the class. The downsides include requiring the self-discipline needed to see it through, the lack of interaction with the expert trainer input to reinforce the training, and missed opportunity to network with others on your course. However there are thousands who have taken online modules over the years, and it is a very viable option.
** Note: Practitioner level now referred to as Specialist; this designation has been revised by AIIM.
“To take an AIIM training course is to cease being a substandard records Manager.”
"... your training was excellent and I have been promoting it to my peers."
RM Manager, ERM-M