Are you a 5-11 year old?
Then, join our native beekeeper Elke Haege to learn about our new pets down at the Hub — our social and solitary native bees. We'll learn how to make bee motels for our solitary bees and decorate our brand new social native bee hives.
So, bring a hat to keep the sun off, some covered shoes so angry ants don't get to bite your toes and a parent or carer to stay with you for our Eco Heroes Club All About Bees session in the Permaculture Interpretive Garden.
WHEN: Saturday 15 October 2016 TIME: 2:30pm-4:30pm WHERE: Permaculture Interpretive Garden at the Randwick Community Centre, 27 Munda Street Randwick
See you then.
About Eco Heroes Club...
Hey! It's awsome... at Eco Heroes, our 5 to 11 year olds participate in hands-on eco-activities that are fun... whether that's making a video, planting vegetables in the garden, learning about the wildlife critters we share Randwick with, checking out worms and compost or making art from recycled materials. We ususlly meet on the third Saturday of the month between 2:30 and 4:00pm (excluding school holidays). These sessions are led by educators employed by Randwick City Council.
The Eco Heroes program offers social and recreational activities for children aged between 5-11 where they learn to cooperate with others. It's also an opportunity for parents and carers to introduce children to a creative social environment where they do things in company with their peers.
Where do we meet?
Most of the Eco Heroes monthly sessions will take place at the Randwick Sustainabilty Hub, Randwick Community Centre, 27 Munda Street, Randwick.
We take a maximum of 15 children aged between 5-11 years old who are accompanied by their parent/s or guardian/s.
On the day...
Here's some helpful details to know about registering on the day:
- a parent or carer must accompany each child
- children should wear clothing appropriate to the season and weather; that might include, for garden activities, sunscreen and closed-in shoes rather than sandals
- because some activities are in the garden or involve craft or cooking activities, it is best that children wear clothing that can get a little grubby
- there is no cost to participate in EcoHeroes, although there may be a cost for any special activities.
Eco Heroes possibilities for our monthly meetUPs...
- learn about our wildlife critters
- make eco-art
- making artwork for the Permaculture Interpretive Garden
- cooking from the garden
- playing eco-games
- make videos
- learn about worms
- plant a vegie garden
- make friends...