Actions and Detail Panel
Creative Spark - Masterclass in Participatory Performance
Sat. 17 June 2017, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm AEST
Creative Spark is a free forum series designed for you as an artist or a producer. Commencing in March, the series throws a spotlight on our cultural producers, bringing them and their practice secrets from back stage to centre stage. Join us in exploring, uncovering and celebrating creativity in Darebin.
Masterclass: Participatory Performance with All The Queens Men
Co-presented by Melbourne Fringe
Saturday 17 June || 12pm-5pm
(EOI's required by 30 April, 2017)
Melbourne Fringe champions bold, experimental art making, providing a platform for independent producers to create new work that pushes the boundaries of contemporary practice. In this free masterclass led by artists Tristan Meecham and Bec Reid (All The Queens Men), participants will learn how to work with members of the general public to create large-scale participatory artworks. Tristan and Bec will discuss how they engage people from different backgrounds in the making and performing of inclusive works, celebrate ‘everyday experts’ and present exciting and technically proficient art.
About the Artist/Producers
All The Queens Men are Tristan Meecham and Bec Reid. Together they create spectacular, large-scale accessible theatrical and participatory arts experiences. Having toured nationally and internationally, their credits include; Fun Run in which Tristan runs a marathon on a treadmill live on stage supported by hundreds of performers from the wider community; Game Show in which 50 contestants compete for the chance to take home the hosts very own possessions; and the forthcoming Coming Back Out Ball, a community celebration created in collaboration with LGBTI elders.
Tristan Meecham is a performance artist who works with the grand and the ridiculous. He is passionate about connecting community, audience and artists together in events that transcend the everyday.
Bec Reid is a performer, producer, director, choreographer and engagement specialist who encourages people to see their world in new ways through highly physical, participatory, practical, collaborative and celebratory actions.
Expression of Interest Process
This masterclass is intended for intermediate level practitioners with some experience in the field, either as a cultural producer and/or a community engaged artist. Selection will consider the points below, while upholding Darebin’s commitment to equal opportunities for access to the arts.
As places are limited, we ask that you complete a short Expression of Interest (EOI) outlining your prior experience and future ambitions.
EMAIL YOUR E.O.I. TO firstname.lastname@example.org BY 5pm SUNDAY 30 APRIL, 2017
SELECTION OUTCOMES WILL BE ADVISED BY FRIDAY 12 MAY, 2017
For more information or to obtain this document in an accessible format, please contact Ciel Lindley via email@example.com
Expression of Interest Questions - Part 1:
- Website / Online CV / Portfolio (max 3 links & 1 document)
- Please provide a short personal statement that introduces your practice as a cultural producer or community engaged artist (maximum 250 words)
- How do you expect this masterclass to extend your current practice and what skills are you looking to develop? (maximum 250 words)
- Please provide a short artistic biography noting any relevant works or online support material (maximum 250 words)
- Are you available to participate in the full 5 hours of the workshop on Sat 17 July? Yes / No
- Do you have any access requirements: (please specify)
Expression of Interest Questions - Part 2:
- Do you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander? Y / N / Prefer not to say
- Do you identify as Culturally or Linguistically Diverse? Y / N / Prefer not to say
- Do you identify as Deaf or experiencing a disability? Y / N / Prefer not to say
- Do you identify as LGBTIQ? Y / N / Prefer not to say
- What is your age range? 18-25 / 26-35 / 36 - 55 / over 55 / Prefer not to say
- What is your gender? Female / Male / Prefer not to say / Other (please specify)
- What is your residential postcode?
- Have you participated in the Creative Spark series in the past?
- Have you participated in Melbourne Fringe's annual Festival or artist development programs before? Y / N / Don't know
Location: Northcote Town Hall, Main Hall, Northcote
Places are FREE however an Expression of Interest process is in place as places are very limited
EOI's are required via email by midnight Sunday 30 April
Please contact us if you require and access assistance or information via 03 8470 8888
For more program information please visit: www.darebinarts.com.au/programs/creative-spark/
The Creative Spark program is proudly presented by the City of Darebin
You might also be interested in booking the following;
Sparking Inspiration; Pecha Kucha’s plus Q&A
with Cultural Producers - Dr Bo J. Svoronos (FCAC), Tanya Miles (White Night)
and Dan Koop (Melbourne Fringe)
Wed 8 March || 6pm – 9pm
with Creative Partnerships Australia
Wed 5 April || 6pm - 9pm
Cultural Mapping & Creative Cartographies
with Dr Marnie Badham & Guests
Wed 17 May || 6pm - 9pm
MERRING Studio, Northcote