This comprehensive 50 hour training is designed to give yoga teachers the practical skills, resources and confidence to meet the unique needs of pregnant women.
Participants will gain a comprehensive teaching repertoire tailored to the needs of pregnant women including safe and deeply relevant practices for each trimester. We will explore how yoga and the natural birthing approach both draw on the inner tools of movement, sound, breath and awareness and how this, combined with the crucial ingredient of aligned professional support, provides a powerful and wonderful way for women to prepare for birth. This training is readily applied to all styles of yoga.
The Yoga of Birth Graduate Certificate is registered with Yoga Australia.
“The Yoga of Birth training was wonderful, informative and inspiring. Anahata provided a perfect blend of practice and theory with enthusiasm and encouragement to bring my own style to my teaching.”
– Belinda Blackburn, 2012 participant
The Yoga of Birth Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training will help participants to:
- Gain a comprehensive teaching repertoire tailored to the needs of pregnant women
- Adapt the tools of yoga – asana, vinyasa, pranayama, meditation, restorative yoga, chanting, partner work – to help pregnant women develop strength and flexibility in body, mind and spirit
- Develop safe, empowering and deeply relevant asana and vinyasa sequences adapted to all stages of pregnancy and all levels of yoga experience
- Skillfully address the therapeutic needs of pregnant women including contraindications, common complaints and supporting optimal foetal positioning
- Support, educate and empower women to give birth the way they want to
- Develop a holistic framework that combines yoga, natural birthing principles and drawing on the medical approach as needed
- Understand the physical and physiological changes of pregnancy and birth
- Explore the role of the breath and meditation in the process of embracing the intensity of birth and in natural pain management
- Understand the current cultural context of birth to help orient and empower women in their birth choices
- Develop resources and referral networks with other health practitioners in the birthing field
- Learn the professional practices required to run prenatal yoga classes
- Have access to ongoing support and mentoring by email, skype, phone or in person
This is a comprehensive 50 Hour Training, consisting of training over 3 days and guided self-study and assessment completed at home. The training will be engaging and participatory, drawing on the input of all participants. Varied teaching methods will be used including yoga practice, information sharing, small group work, teaching observation and assistance. There will be a balance of experiential and theoretical work in a supportive and fun learning environment.
Students will also complete practical written assessments that will be relevant to establishing themselves as prenatal yoga teachers. The assessments are due approximately 6 weeks after the completion of the contact hours (but this date is negotiable).
Students will receive an extensive (60+ pages) training manual and a certificate of completion. This training earns 50 CPD points for Yoga Australia members.
Date and Times
Friday October 14 9.30am-6.00pm,
Saturday October 15 9.30am-5.30pm
& Sunday October 16 12.30-5.30pm
About Anahata Giri
Anahata has been practicing yoga for 25 years and teaching yoga since 2002. She began researching and teaching prenatal yoga in 2005 and her prenatal classes in Melbourne have been popular. She is the founder of One Heart Yoga and Meditation based at The Abbotsford Convent. Anahata has combined her commitment to excellent professional training with her passion for prenatal yoga and empowered birth to run this training. She is passionate about women’s potential to embrace birth as a joyous life experience.
She is a member of Yoga Australia (YA) and the Australian Association of Yoga Therapists (AAYT) is a trained yoga therapist and she helped to write the YA Guidelines for Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training. Her training in somatic psychotherapy and community development and her past work as a counselor and community development worker, has made her a highly experienced group facilitator. Anahata’s qualifications include: Graduate Certificate in Yoga Therapy; Certificate IV in Training and Assessment; Diploma in Community Development; Diploma in Somatic Psychotherapy; and Certificate IV in Small Business Management.
To attend this training, participants need to be trained yoga teachers or currently training to be yoga teachers.