Cooking Classes Sydney - learn Knife Skills for cooking.
Learn how to chop, slice, dice and julienne like a pro at this one-evening workshop in Sydney’s Surry Hills.
This course introduces the home cook to basic knife skills – a key part of any cook’s repertoire. Master these classic cuts and techniques to see a real improvement in the prep time and presentation of your favourite dishes.
With loads of hands-on practice, you’ll learn the uses for different knives, cutting styles, techniques, sharpening and knife care.
Your tutor – head chef and Japanese knife fanatic, Frank Karapinar – will take you through:
- safe handling practices
- a brief history and comparison of Western mass-produced and Japanese handmade knives
- the different styles and sizes of common knives and their intended uses
- sharpening techniques using honing steel and Japanese whetstone
- knife care and storage
- demonstration followed by hands-on student practice of cutting styles and techniques (slice, dice, brunoise, chiffonnade, julienne, angel-hair)
On the menu
When you’re done chopping, all cut ingredients will be used to prepare:
- Thai-style vegetable salad
- tomato & basil bruschetta
Please note:>/b> we are not able to provide substitute ingredients for people with allergies.
By the end of this course you will have learned how to:
- identify and describe different knives and their uses
- demonstrate safe sharpening techniques
- demonstrate safe use of a standard chef’s knife and a paring knife
- chop vegetables and herbs using a variety of cutting styles.
Beginners and more experienced cooks who want to develop their knife skills.
All ingredients, recipe booklets, aprons, equipment and take home food containers are supplied.
Please come prepared
- Wear closed in shoes
- If you have long hair, tie it back
- Bring a bag to carry your take-home food
The William Angliss Institute
Ground floor, Reader’s Digest Building
26–32 Waterloo Street, Surry Hills
What previous students say...
"Frank is very knowledgable and experienced... he has a real passion for passing on the enjoyment of cooking."
"Above expectations. Great to utilise new skills & knowledge immediately with the creation of bruschetta & thai salad."