Cleaning and Exploring your data with Open Refine (Melbourne Campus)
Tuesday, 2 May 2017 from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm (AEST)
A DIGITAL RESEARCH INITIATIVE - A collaboration between the Office of the DVC(R), ICT and the Library, La Trobe’s Digital Research Strategy aims to provide a world-class digital research environment to enable and accelerate new research outcomes through the engagement of researchers with advanced and emerging information and computing technologies and appropriate support services.
WHY DO THIS COURSE?
Do you have messy data from multiple inconsistent sources, or open-responses to questionnaires? Do you want to improve the quality of your research data by refining it and using the power of the internet?
Open Refine is the perfect partner to Excel. It is a powerful, free tool for exploring, normalising and cleaning datasets. In this course you'll work through the various features of Refine by working on a fictional but plausible humanities research project.
This workshop is presented by our partners, Intersect Australia Limited.
You'll learn how to:
- Download, install and run Open Refine
- Import data from csv, text or online sources and create projects
- Navigate data using the Open Refine interface
- Explore data by using facets
- Clean data using clustering
- Parse data using GREL syntax
- Extend data using Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Export project for use in other applications
There are no minimum requirements to attend this workshop.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
All researchers and research students.
Save This Event
When & Where
Digital Research Team
La Trobe's Digital Research Strategy aims to:
- Enable researchers to actively engage with information and computing technologies
- Develop Digital Research expertise among researchers within the University
- Proactively enhance institutional research capabilities
- Maximise the use and enable proper management and curation of research data