World-class cajón manufacturer Rodrigo Percussion visits Melbourne to launch the new "Inca Series" cajones, with artwork by Katherine Gailer, demonstrating their beautiful crisp sound and running a series of workshops for children and adults.
The workshops will be held as part of the Cajón, Art & Community celebration that brings together Rodrigo Percussion, Casa Cultura and Vibrating Planet. Attendees to the workshops are also invited to stay for the other activities of the event, which include live performances by some of Melbourne's top Latin American musical talent.
The following workshops will be run on that day:
1) 2:00-2:30pm – Children's Workshop: a fun-packed 30-minute introduction to the fundamentals of rhythm and the basic sounds of the cajón, where the children will have the opportunity to play together in the spirit of community so ingrained in the musical heritage of Latin America. Ages 5 to 12.
2) 2:30-3:00pm – Children's Workshop (same as above)
3) 4:30-5:15pm – Adult's Workshop (Beginners): a 45-minute introductory lesson to the fundamental sounds and basic patterns of the cajon as it applies not only to traditional Latin American music, but to rock, pop and folk from around the world. Led by percussionists Rodrigo Martin (also founder and lead designer of the RP brand) and Sebastián Orellana.
4) 5:30-6:15pm – Adult's Workshop (Intermediate): delve a little deeper into the art of the cajón with some more complex patterns and interpretative styles, textures and techniques to open up a vast world of expression. Led by percussionists Rodrigo Martin (also founder and lead designer of the RP brand) and Sebastián Orellana.
STRICTLY LIMITED AVAILABILITY FOR ALL WORKSHOPS. BOOK EARLY TO SECURE YOUR SPOT!
Cajón, Art & Community
Casa Cultura, Rodrigo Percussion and Vibrating Planet join forces to end 2016 with an afternoon of Cajón, Art and Community, featuring:
- Cajón demonstrations and workshops for adults and children with Rodrigo Silva and Sebastián Orellana
- The launch of RP's new "Inca Series" line of cajones, with artwork by Katherine Gailer
- Recap of Casa Cultura's activities in 2016
- Live performance, open mic and a massive jam session
Entry $10 donation which includes a (vegetarian friendly) meal and a soft drink. Attendees to the workshops are invited to stay for the other activities of the event but will need to contribute with $10 toward the full event and will receive a meal and drink.
Approximate running order (times may change slightly):
1:00 - Doors
2:00 - Children Cajon Workshop
2:30 - Children Cajon Workshop
3:00 - Casa Cultura Re-Cap & AGM
4:00 - Cajon Demonstration
4:30 - Adult Cajon Workshop (Beginners)
5:30 - Adult Cajon Workshop (Intermediate)
6:30 - Open mic
7:00 - Oscar Jimenez and friends live show
8:00 - Massive jam session
Casa Cultura is a community of artists and art-lovers supporting each other for a strong voice, representing the cultural heritage of Latin America in Australia and harnessing the power or arts and culture as a tool for social change (www.facebook.com/casaculturainc)
Vibrating Planet is a music production initiative aiming to incorporate innovative mediums of recording to generate new collaborations as well as increase community engagement in cultural experiences.
Melbourne’s vibrant artistic scene stands on an important process of integration of diverse cultural traditions and expressions. https://www.facebook.com/pg/vibratingplanet/
Rodrigo Percussion is a Sydney-based elite hand sculptured cajon brand, made with the best materials on the planet and all the love in the world...at prices everyone can afford! Punchy bottom end with a crisp snare and the signature RP slap pad! www.rodrigopercussion.com