Actions and Detail Panel
Beginners African Drumming Class - Hampton Park
Wed. 18 January 2017, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm AEDT
Our friendly classes run in 6 week cycles, join us on the first week of the cycle - we'll provide the drums!
You can find out more here: African Drumming Classes
What You Will Learn
- Develop groove, control and listening skills.
- Experience the joy of community music
- Learn basic techniques on the djembe (Bass, Tone and Slap) and West African rhythms
What You Get
- Knowledge of West African drumming and control of easy-to-follow rhythms
- 10% student discount storewide
- Access to our social media networks and resources
- Concession rates available. Please present your card in class.
Learn from Alena
A formidable percussionist and natural teacher, Alena graduated from the prestigious Victorian College of the Arts in 2008. Since starting on drum kit at the age of 10, she has fuelled her instrument ADD by branching out into all sorts of classical, mallet and African percussion. She has a passion for educating young (and young at heart) minds on the culture, music, song and dance for which Africa is renowned. Alena has taken two extended tours to Ghana. She hopes to one day own a two storey house where the top floor is completely dedicated to drums
The emphasis at the Beginner Level is on:
Learning basic technique on the djembe (bass, tone and slap)
Appreciating West African music
Developing groove, control & listening skills
Working together to become an ensemble
Introducing soloing as a group
Working on timing
Exploring basic musical concepts