Our friendly classes run in 6 week cycles, join us on the first week of the cycle - we'll provide the drums!
You can find out more here: African Drumming Classes
What You Will Learn
- Develop groove, control and listening skills.
- Experience the joy of community music
- Learn basic techniques on the djembe (Bass, Tone and Slap) and West African rhythms
What You Get
- Knowledge of West African drumming and control of easy-to-follow rhythms
- 10% student discount storewide
- Access to our social media networks and resources
- Concession rates available. Please present your card in class.
Learn from Laura
Laura has been studying percussion for over 12 years, touring and recording with various bands ranging from jazz to ska. Following the beat of her own drum, she attended African Drumming’s 2013 tour to West Africa, studying with Master drummers in Ghana and Burkina Faso. She became fascinated in how music is central to the flow of life, igniting an interest to study different cultures music. After completing African Drumming’s Teacher Training Course, Laura had the opportunity to teach workshops across Australia, and began teaching her own music therapy classes in Brisbane. Having studied Latin music at the University of Florida, she has since been accepted into postgraduate studies in ethnomusicology at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music in 2017. Laura believes that music can transcend language barriers and is sometimes a language of its own.
The emphasis at the Beginner Level is on:
Learning basic technique on the djembe (bass, tone and slap)
Appreciating West African music
Developing groove, control & listening skills
Working together to become an ensemble
Introducing soloing as a group
Working on timing
Exploring basic musical concepts