This course is designed to provide beekeepers with practical advice about managing hives (including Flow Hives) in autumn and winter as well as providing an understanding of a range of specialised beekeeping topics, including bee stings, bee genetics, queen raising and replacement, exotic bee pests and diseases, purifying wax and preparing creamed honey.
The course has been developed from, and is consistent with, core and elective units of Beekeeping Certificate III.
- The course will be conducted at the Abbotsford Convent and at the adjoining the Collingwood Children’s Farm apiary. Go to www.facebook.com/collingwood.bees to view the apiary in operation and to see how it is used to teach practical beekeeping.
- The course will be conducted on Sunday 19th March 2017. It will commence at 9 am (with registration from 8:30) and conclude at 5:00 pm
- A feature of the course will be its emphasis on teaching beekeeping by having students open hives themselves. Under instruction from an experienced beekeeper and in groups of three, students will spend two hours on each day of the course doing this (weather permitting). All beekeeping personal protective equipment will be provided at the apiary. For biosecurity reasons students will not be permitted to bring and use their own equipment.
- The cost of this course is $130.
- Included in the cost will be course notes, a memory stick of beekeeping resources and morning tea.
- Lunch will not be provided but it can be purchased at a number of nearby venues at the Abbotsford Convent.
- Enrolment and payment can only be made through Eventbrite.
- There is a limit of 12 students for the course.
- Enrolments close on Friday Friday 17th March 2017.
- Course cancellation will be accepted on or before Friday 10th March and will incur a cancellation fee of $50 with the balance being refunded approximately five days after the event. No refunds will be issued after Friday 10th March.
- The course organizers reserve the right to refuse enrolment to any student who they consider unsuitable for the course for whatever reason.