Bail Justice Parkville tour - 4 November 2016
Friday, 4 November 2016 from 2:30 PM to 5:00 PM (AEDT)
Tours of Parkville Youth Justice Centre for current Bail Justices
- What happens when a young person is remanded or sentenced to the Parkville Youth Residential Centre or Melbourne Youth Justice Centre?
- What are some of the influences and impacts of young people entering the Justice system?
- What should you keep in mind as a Bail Justice deciding the fate of young people under your jurisdiction?
The session will include a tour of the Parkville facilities, as well as a presentation from Ian Lanyon, Director, Secure Services, Department of Health & Human Services.
Since taking over management of the Parkville Centre, Ian has focused on balancing safety and security with rehabilitation and welfare for the residents and guests of the centre. With a wealth of experience and insights, we are very lucky to have him open the doors and share his wisdom with us.
Parkville Youth Justice Precinct comprises two custodial centres and is located in the inner northern Melbourne suburb of Parkville, approximately 5 kilometres from the central business district.
Youth justice custodial services aim to ensure:
- Safe and secure youth justice custodial facilities for clients and staff
- Young people are rehabilitated with reduced likelihood of further offending
- Factors associated with offending are addressed through evidence-based programs
- Complex clients are provided with integrated and well coordinated services that meet their individual needs.