Australian Museum Science Festival presents Science on Saturday
Saturday, 11 August 2012 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)
Come to the Australian Museum for a Science Extravaganza!
Our first annual Science on Saturday will feature a huge line up of science based activities and fun for the entire family. As a special treat the whole museum will be open and you'll have the unique opportunity to discover sections you've never seen before!
· Meet the Jolly Professor and Rusty the Robot in a mind-blowing Jollybops Energy show (10.00 – 10.45am and 12.45pm – 1.30pm)*
· Discover the amazing effects of Liquid Nitrogen with the ABC Surfing Scientist show (11.45 – 12.30pm; 1.45 -2.30pm; and 3.30 – 4.15pm)*
· Discover the mysterious creatures of the deep with entry into our new Deep Oceans exhibition
· Get up close and personal with some native Australian animals (2.45 – 3.15pm)*
· Visit our research library on the only Saturday in 2012 that it's open to the public! (10.00am – 12.30pm)
· Meet science communicator and film-maker, Dan Keogh and learn all about what what makes a good science film (11.00 – 11.30am)*
You'll also be able to make your own slime, play with invisible ink, get yourself stuck on a velcro wall, use microscopes to discover what your skin, hair and clothes really look like and handle some of our friendly phasmids (stick insects).
Macquarie University will present an Indigenous Science Experience that cannot be missed:
· Discover the wonders of Bush medicine with Macquarie University researchers and Yaegl elders as they co-present talks on their 8 year research project looking into the medicines and plant resources of the Yaegl people
· Meet some Aboriginal elders and listen to their stories
· Make a star wheel or CREATE a stone axe
Bookings and Contact
Book online above or please contact our Science Communication staff on 9320 6389.
For more information on the Indigenous Science Education Program please contact Mr David Harrington on 0434 916 778 or Joanne Packer on 9850 8283.