San Francisco, California, USA
London, United Kingdom
Join Parramatta Amnesty and an expert panel to uncover the truth about Australia's offshore processing facilities, discuss alternative asylum seeker policies and find out how you can be a part of the solution to better conversations and better policies for asylum seekers and refugees.
- Parramatta Amnesty member Dave Burrows will tell us about Amnesty's report on human rights violations against asylum seekers on Manus Island, and the problems asylum seekers face in our region.
- Mark Isaacs will explain why his experiences working for the Salvation Army performing support work and humanitarian aid for asylum seekers in the Nauru Regional Processing Centre led him to speak out publicly against Australia's offshore detention policy.
- Lucy Fiske, researcher at UTS, Cosmopolitan Civil Societies will explore alternative policies drawing on her extensive work with refugees and asylum seekers, first as a social worker and now as a researcher. She has visited detention centres in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Port Hedland, Christmas Island and Jakarta and worked with people who have been detained at all Australian run centres, as well as with refugees who have arrived through the off-shore program.
- Amnesty International Australia Community Organiser Courtney Payne will share Amnesty's tips and tricks to engaging MPs and handling objections to create better conversations and better policies for asylum seekers and refugees.
- Please join us afterwards for an extended Q and A and networking session.
* Doors open at 7pm, refreshments provided, program begins at 7:30pm