This site allows you to register for the ALS2 Course only. Please e-mail us for more information on the ALS 1 Course.
Advanced Life Support Level 2
This is a two-day (or modular) course with the focus on the developing advanced skills in managing deteriorating patient and cardiac arrest. The course is designed for healthcare professionals with who would be expected to apply those skills taught as part of their clinical duties, or to teach them on a regular basis. Appropriate participants include doctors, and nurses working in critical care areas (e.g. ED, CCU, ICU, HDU, acute admissions units) or in the resuscitation /medical emergency team, and paramedics.
Medical students, nurses and other healthcare providers not covered in the groups above may be encouraged to complete the ALS1/Immediate Life Support (ALS1/ILS) course. Those with a particular interest in resuscitation should then consider attending an ALS2/ALS course, where appropriate.
The course is very intensive and candidates are sent the ALS2/ALS manual one month prior to the course. Candidates are required to complete a pre-course multiple choice question paper to guide preparation.
Prior skills and competence in CPR is an essential prerequisite to attending the course. While the course covers advanced resuscitation skills it is also designed to develop leadership and team skills in managing such emergencies.
The ALS course teaches the knowledge and skills required to:
- Recognition, assessment and management of the deteriorating patient using a structured ABCDE approach
- Treat cardiac and/or respiratory arrest, including manual defibrillation
- Management of life-threatening arrhythmias
- Preparing and planning for post resuscitation care
- Care for the deteriorating patient or patient in cardiac and/or respiratory arrest in special circumstances such as asthma, anaphylaxis, and pregnancy
- Lead a team, work as a team member, and use structured communication skills including giving an effective handover
For more information please visit the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) website.
Terms and Conditions
By enrolling in this course You agree to the following terms and conditions:
- You are enrolling in a course entitled “Advanced Life Support Level 2”. (“Course”)
- The Course is managed and run by the Adelaide Research & Innovation Pty Ltd (ARI) on behalf of the University of Adelaide.
- Adelaide Research & Innovation Pty Ltd (ARI) is the commercial development arm of The University of Adelaide.
- ARI guarantees that the Course will be:
- carried out with due care and skill;
- provided at the Course date; and
- fit for the purpose described by ARI.
- To the full extent permitted by law, ARI’s total liability for failure to comply with any of the guarantees in condition 3 is limited to Your re-enrolment at another date for the purposes of attending the Course or refund of the Course fee.
- Places are allocated in order of receipt of registration form.
- We reserve the right to cancel or postpone courses due to unforeseen circumstances. We will notify You at least 48 hours before the Course date.
- In the event of the Course being cancelled due to insufficient enrolments, You will be offered a full refund.
- Should You be unable to attend the Course, a substitute registration is welcome at no extra charge. If You need to substitute another attendee, You must let us know at least 4 weeks before the course date.
- We will refund Your registration fee for the Course following written advice of your withdrawal, at least 4 weeks before the Course date.
- We regret that no refund can be made for cancellations received less than 4 weeks before a course.
- Copyright in all materials provided and presented for the Course is owned by the University of Adelaide.
- Upon payment of the Course fee, ARI grants You a revocable, non-exclusive licence to use the copyright in the Course materials for the sole purpose of Your participation in the Course and for Your subsequent learning purposes.
- While all care is taken in providing training and development services, the University of Adelaide does not accept any liability for the use made by a client or its employees or agents of any training, products, instruments or services provided.
- All costs quoted include 10% GST.
- You declare that you are medically and physically fit and able to participate in the Course. You will immediately notify the University of Adelaide in writing of any change to Your fitness and ability to participate. You understand and accept that the University of Adelaide will continue to rely upon this declaration as evidence of Your fitness and ability to participate.
- ARI collects personal information about Course participants, including Yours, this information being necessary for ARI to run and promote the Course.
- You consent to ARI and its subsidiaries and associated entities collecting and sharing between them certain personal information, including but not limited to Your:
- email address; and
- phone number;
for the purposes of ARI scheduling and running the Course, conducting research, marketing and promotional activities in relation to ARI.
- You have certain rights to access Your personal information held by ARI and can request access by contacting email@example.com.
- You acknowledge and consent to photographs being taken of You during Your participation in the Course. You acknowledge that the photographs will be owned by ARI and that ARI may use the photographs for promotional or other purposes without my further consent being obtained.
- If You do not attend on the date of the Course You will forfeit the enrolment fee paid for the Course.
- You must arrive no later than 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of the Course.
- You must follow the procedures that You have been informed of by the Course organisers and all reasonable instructions issued by ARI from time to time.
- You agree and acknowledge that You are over 18 years of age.
- “Advanced Life Support 2 Certificates” will only be issued to You once You’ve completed the Course to ARI’s reasonable satisfaction.
- You must not use, publish or distribute the name or logo of ARI received during the Course, or any variation of them, in any way, including publicity, advertising, marketing collateral, or news release without the prior written approval of ARI.
- You are responsible for Your own property. ARI and its associated entities will not be liable for loss of or damage to any property brought to the Classes by You.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of the State of South Australia.