Richmond Wellbeing proudly presents John McGuire, Coordinator Aboriginal Engagement, Sandfire Resources NL to deliver our Aboriginal Cultural Awareness training.
John is an expert in working with Aboriginal communities and engaging, mentoring and developing Aboriginal staff. He has had a diverse career in consultancy, mining, construction, Government and learning and development roles. John advises to Government, industry, universities and not-for-profits. He is an accomplished sportsman, a WAFL Premiership player with East Perth and the second highest run scorer in WA First Class cricket. To mark the Australian bi-centenary, John captained Aboriginal cricketers on a tour of England. The tour retraced the steps of Aboriginal players who in 1868, became our first ever international touring cricketers.
COURSE OVERVIEW & LEARNINGS:
• The cultural aspects of Aboriginal society and its structure around social kinship
• Pre and post-European settlement discussion and its impact on Aboriginal society
• Policies and legislation which have shaped Aboriginal society
• Personal experiences and related stories
• Present challenges facing the Aboriginal community