Learn from top executives from ABC Network, ACCAN & Integral Ad Science!
Struggle Street & SBS – Defamation?
Here is the agenda – you won’t want to miss this:
1. Grant McAvaney, Senior Lawyer, ABC Network – The Rise of the Machines: Regulating Speech and Communications in the Age of the Internet...(And Fancy Mobile Phones)
2. Holly Raiche, Policy Committee - Internet Society, Dep Chair - ACCAN, Fellow - Cyberspace Law & Policy – It doesn’t matter what you say, we’ll find you
3. James Diamond, Managing Director, Integral Ad Science – Increasing the quality of Advertising online and the invasion of Bots & Botnets.
What you will learn at this event:
1. The Rise of the Machines: Regulating Speech and Communications in the Age of the Internet...(And Fancy Mobile Phones) - Grant McAvaney
– How is free speech protected, and to what extent, in Australia?
– What are other rights or privileges are protected in Australia, potentially at the expense of free speech?
– Defamation – can you say anything you want on any type of media? If not, what defences to defamation claims are available?
– What challenges does the internet and advancements in technology introduce to the regulation of speech and the media in Australia?
2. Getting followed by authorities and data retention. Holly Raiche
-our new data retention legislation – what it does and how you will be followed
– the recent Snowden decision in the US – see he was right – they are snooping
– the EU ruling on data retention – yes, it is personal information and there must be limits on its collection, storage and use – Google – are we ever forgotten? what Google will or will not take down
3. Bots & Botnets in the Internet Underground. James Diamond
– what are bots and botnets and why are these perceived a problem in billions of wasted revenue each year?
– What’s awesome about internet advertising – It has some big benefits for society!
– Who is exploiting it – the how and why of online advertising fraud
– How do we maximise the good and eliminate the bad of online advertising
Information on the speakers
GRANT MCAVANEY – Senior Lawyer, ABC Network
Experienced specialist media litigator and Senior Lawyer at the ABC. Previously a Partner of Minter Ellison Lawyers and Senior Lawyer with ninemsn. Grant has acted both for and against the print media, radio and TV broadcasters and digital publishers alike.
Grant is a member of the Law Council’s Media & Communications Law Committee, and he also lectures on media law at the University of Technology, Sydney and the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance. His love of public speaking has also lead to him being an MC for hire – visit facebook/grantemcee; www.grantmc.com.au for more information.
HOLLY RAICHE – Cyberspace Law & Policy, Aust. Consumer Commission, Internet Society
Holly is a board member of the Internet Society of Australia’s Policy Committee and the Deputy Chair of the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN), Australia’s peak body for consumer advocacy in communications. Holly is a Visiting Fellow at the Cyberspace Law and Policy Community at UNSW and a Research Associate at the Communications law Centre, based at UTS. Holly teaches Communications Law at both an undergraduate and graduate level at UNSW and at UTS and has written widely on telecommunications issues, and most relevantly, is the author of the chapters on the policy background and consumer protections in the only text on telecommunications, the Australian Telecommunications Regulation.
JAMES DIAMOND – MD, Integral Ad Science
James is the Managing Director at Integral Ad Science Australia, a global media valuation platform that focuses on viewability, brand safety and ad-fraud detection.
Marketing is all about connecting buyers and sells. With the growth of the internet advertisers now have so many more opportunities to connect with their audience and deciding which opportunities should they act on requires a value to be placed on each opportunity. James and his team at Integral Ad Science Australia are focused on eliminating waste for advertisers and decluttering the web for consumers.
James completed his bachelor’s degree in Business Management at the University of Western Sydney, studied finance at Harvard Business School and leadership at Oxfords Said Business School.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
As this is held in licensed premises you must be over the age of 13 or accompanied by a guardian
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
The venue is right in the centre of the CBD. Closest train station is Wynyard and Martin Place. Town Hall station is 5 mins walk.
All city bus services will stop not far from this location.
Car parking you will find either by metered street parking or undercover in one of the many paid carparks.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
You cannot bring food or drinks into the event as this is a licensed premise. However a very affordable and extensive menu of light and main meals is available along with a full bar list.
Phones, Cameras & Video - we ask that you respect the speakers privacy and do not use your phone or camera to take pictures or videos unless you ask the speakers first.
Allocated press will be on site and authorised to take pictures.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Send any enquires to email@example.com
Can I update my registration information?
Yes but do ensure we are notified as limited numbers can attend.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, your name will be on the list as long as you are the person who registered the ticket.
What is the refund policy?
If you purchased a paid ticket you will be offered a full refund if 1. the front row seat is not available or 2. the speaker of your choice is unable to spend time with you
The name on the registration/ticket doesn't match the attendee. Is that okay?
Not unless you notify us in advance - firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a multi-channel digital creative agency comprising of a small high caliber team of experts in Big Data, Analysis and Strategy, Advertising and Design and Interweb Optimisation. Our tools, our methodologies and costings are completely transparent.
Our Multi Channel Network Dynamic Trading Arm provides advertisers with access to high value consumers across digital networks, social networks, search networks, broadcast and mobile.
We offer optimum campaign results for clients by providing high value customers with unmatched quality content using multiple platforms and the latest technology.
Big Data Analysis
Data Tracking and Optimisation
Transparent Programmatic Media Buying
Search Engine Optimisation
Landing Page Testing
Mobile and email Marketing
Content and Communications
e-Commerce Solutions and Strategy
Graphic and Digital Design
TV Commercial and Video Production
Glasslab - track and view your data transparently
For more information go to www.mindcarnival.com.au
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.