Sold Out

2017 Open House Hobart - Salamanca Arts Centre

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

77 Salamanca Pl

Hobart, TAS 7000

Australia

View Map

Friends Who Are Going
Event description

Description

SAC comprises seven Georgian sandstone warehouses, constructed between 1833 and 1855 as part of the infrastructure (new wharf) to accommodate the expanding maritime industry for exporting whaling products, timber and building materials for the Californian Gold Rush and commodities for the domestic market. The two four-storey buildings flanking Kelly’s Lane are the only buildings on Salamanca Place to have been built as a matching pair. The buildings have had many interesting tenants, including American Consul Elisha Hathaway (tenancy: 1844-1847), Dr William Crowther, amateur anthropologist and later Premier of Tasmania (tenancy: 1867-1872), and William Peacock. From 1889, Peacock bought all of the buildings one by one, eventually joining them together to create WD Peacock & Co, which made jam, juice, sauce and other preserved fruit products until 1974, when the complex was taken over by Jones IXL and placed on the market. In due course, the buildings were purchased by the then Premier Bill Neilson, to be operated as a centre of the arts for the people of Tasmania. The keys were handed over on 5 November 1977.

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

77 Salamanca Pl

Hobart, TAS 7000

Australia

View Map

Save This Event

Event Saved